Louisiana Treasurer Criticizes Governor, Legislature Over Budget
- Louisiana Brings Bonds Amid Budget Disputes. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;11/13/2014, Vol. 1 Issue 34211, p1
Louisiana price the first of two GO bond deals Thursday with unanswered questions about the state budget, but MMA director Matt Fabian says the issue is unlikely to impact pricing because of the state's strong legal protections for bondholders.
- Another Big Tobacco Bond Deal, Cajun Style. Podkul, Cezary // Pro Publica;Apr2015, p1
The article focuses on a proposal by Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal of a deal to borrow against future income from the state's tobacco bonds which came from its share of a 1998 legal settlement with cigarette makers to address the state's budget crisis. Topics covered include the success of...
- Louisiana, Weighing Higher Ed Reductions, Has Already Cut Severely. Sigo, Shelly // Bondbuyer.com;5/13/2015, p26
The article discusses the budget deficit facing the state of Louisiana that impact hit its colleges and universities, which has already slashed its higher education funding. It presents the insights of fiscal policy analyst Michael Mitchell at the Center on Budget Priorities and Policies, Jan...
- Texas Budget Board's Numbers Cut $1 Billion From Education. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/16/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31554, p1
Reports on the biennium budget for 2004-2005 presented by Texas Legislative Budget Board on January 14, 2003. Funds allocated for various programs and services; Criticism of reduction in funds for local public schools in the state; Members of the legislative budget board.
- California: End in Sight? Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;7/31/2003, Vol. 345 Issue 31689, p1
Reports on the approval of state budget of California for the fiscal year 2003. Steps taken to make-up for a $38 billion shortfall for fiscal 2004 in the budget; Public response to the budget; Amount proposed by the California Senate for redevelopment agencies in the budget.
- Southwest Officials Trying To Budget Outside the Box. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/22/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31308, p1
Reports on the efforts of officials in Southwestern states to balance their budgets without cutting the budget for social programs. Estimated budget of Texas for 2002-03; Colorado's budget shortfall for 2002-03; Arkansas' forecasted revenue for fiscal year 2002.
- IOWA: A Hole Reopens. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/6/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31319, p29
Reports on the efforts of governor of Iowa Tom Vilsack to overcome the problem in the budget for fiscal year 2002 due to faltering revenue collection in the state. Prospects for cut in school funds to solve the problem; Plans regarding the spendings made by governor during the year 2002.
- The state and local government sector: Long-term trends and recent fiscal pressures. Rubin, Laura S.; Fagan, Katie // Federal Reserve Bulletin;Dec92, Vol. 78 Issue 12, p892
Focuses on long-term factors associated with fiscal difficulties in the state and local government sector. State and local expenditure; Structural difficulties; Fiscal difficulties; Patterns of state and local spending; Taxation. INSET: State and local insurance funds: A source of saving....
- NEW MEXICO: A More or Less Budget. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;1/18/2011, Vol. 375 Issue 33451, p9
The article reports on the proposal of the Legislative Finance Committee to allocate 5.39 billion U.S. dollars for the 2012 general fund budget in New Mexico.