Lasting connections of 1997
- Many perspectives. Broderick, Kathy // Book Links;Jan1998, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p6
Presents information on a listing of children books. `In for Winter, Out for Spring, ' `Chinese New Year,' `The Stories Julian Tells.'
- Roots remembered. Smith, Henrietta M.; Kruse, Ginny Moore // Book Links;Jan1998, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p15
Presents information on books about Africian Americians for young readers. Including `The Captive,' `I Thought My Soul Would Rise and Fly: The Diary of Patsy, a Freed Girl; Mars Bluff, South Carolina,' by Joyce Hanson and `A Picture of Freedom: The Diary of Clotee, a Slave Girl; Belmont...
- Biographies of African American scientists, explorers, and innovators. Lickteig, Mary J. // Book Links;Jan1998, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p21
Presents information on African American books for children. Including `African-American Inventors,' by Fred M.B. Amram, `Created Equal: The Lives and Ideas of Black American Innovators,' by James Michael Brodie and `Against All Opposition: Black Explorers in America' by Jim Haskins.
- Young black heroines. Odean, Kathleen // Book Links;Jan1998, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p36
Presents a collection of books appropiate for primary grade children of both genders, which focus on Black girls. Including `Allie's Basketball Dream,' by Barbara E. Barber, `Off to School,' by Gwendolyn Battle-Lavert and `Flower garden,' by Eve Bunting.
- Story-enhancing your science lessons. Sima, Judy // Book Links;Jan1998, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p46
Reviews a number of children's literature which focus on science. Including `Dem Bones,' Bob Barner, `Science Book of Water,' by Neil Ardley and `Soap, Soap, Don't Forget the Soap: An Appalachian Folktale,' by Tom Birdseye.
- Refugees and homeless: Nomads of the world. Steiner, Stanley F.; Cobiskey, Lane // Book Links;Jan1998, Vol. 7 Issue 3, p55
Presents children's book's which focus on the homelessness. Including `Peacebound Trains,' by Haemi Balgassi, `Fly Away Home,' by Eve Bunting and `Uncle Willie and the Soup Kitchen,'by DyAnne DiSalvo-Ryan.
- Old favorites in new covers await young readers. Carden, Karen Williams // Christian Science Monitor;11/20/97, Vol. 89 Issue 249, pB1
Reviews classic childrens' books available for the 1997 holiday season. Picture books; Short story collections; Novels; Information books.
- Book Reviews. Burke, Kathleen // Smithsonian;Nov99, Vol. 30 Issue 8, p42
Reviews several books for children. 'Dangerous Games,' by Joan Aiken; 'Mr. Bear's New Baby,' by Debi Gliori; 'My Favorite Word Book: Words and Pictures for the Very Young,' by Selina Young; 'Hello, Lulu,' by Caroline Uff; 'Celeste Sails to Spain,' by Alison Lester.
- Children's books. Freeman, Evelyn B.; Lehman, Barbara A. // Reading Teacher;May98, Vol. 51 Issue 8, p684
Reviews several children's books. Includes `The Face at the Window,' by Regina Hanson; `Pedrito's Day,' by Luis Garay; `Read for Me, Mama,' by Vashanti Rahaman; `Louella Mae, She's Run Away!,' by Karen Beaumont; `From Head to Toe,' by Eric Carle. INSET: Too good to miss..