"I don't eat a hamburger and large chips every day!" A qualitative study of the impact of public health messages about obesity on obese adults
- Independent Nurse: Nurse-led pilot could shape QOF. Lepper, Joe // GP: General Practitioner;6/24/2005, p87
The article reports that a nurse-led weight management scheme running in Scotland could provide much needed evidence to include obesity in the revised quality and outcomes framework (QOF). The pilot in Grampian, which is set to include three rural practices in Speyside later this year, will...
- Why are we fat? Discussions on the socioeconomic dimensions and responses to obesity. Rayner, Geof; Gracia, Mabel; Young, Elizabeth; Mauleon, Jose R.; Luque, Emilio; Rivera-Ferre, Marta G. // Globalization & Health;2010, Vol. 6, p7
This paper draws together contributions to a scientific table discussion on obesity at the European Science Open Forum 2008 which took place in Barcelona, Spain. Socioeconomic dimensions of global obesity, including those factors promoting it, those surrounding the social perceptions of obesity...
- A randomised controlled trial of a community-based healthy lifestyle program for overweight and obese adolescents: the Loozit study protocol. Shrewsbury, Vanessa A.; O'Connor, Janice; Steinbeck, Katharine S.; Stevenson, Kate; Lee, Anthea; Hill, Andrew J.; Kohn, Michael R.; Shah, Smita; Torvaldsen, Siranda; Baur, Louise A. // BMC Public Health;2009, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p119
Background: There is a need to develop sustainable and clinically effective weight management interventions that are suitable for delivery in community settings where the vast majority of overweight and obese adolescents should be treated. This study aims to evaluate the effect of additional...
- 'Food Security' Summit takes on Obesity, Diabetes,
Nutrition. // Ascribe Newswire: Medicine;6/7/2004, p105
The rising rates of obesity and diabetes is as much a food system problem as a health problem in California. According to a new report by the International Diabetes Federation and the International Obesity Task Force, one in three Americans born today is predicted to develop diabetes as a...
- THE OBESITY CULTURE: STRATEGIES FOR CHANGE Public health and university-community partnerships. Johnston, Francis E.; Harkavy, Ira // International Journal of Body Composition Research;2009, Vol. 7 Issue 1, preceding p1
The article presents information related to the obesity culture explained in the "International Journal of Body Composition Research." It is noted that the articles are upon practical experience based on projects in Philadelphia, conditions in Central American countries, and public health...
- More Than Seat Belt Extenders. Field, Karen Auguston // Design News;6/7/2004, Vol. 60 Issue 8, p9
Focuses on obesity as the major public health in the U.S. Treatment of obesity; Association of treatment with public health; Challenges faced by obese people.
- Individual and environmental factors associated for overweight in urban population of Brazil. Mendes, Larissa L.; Nogueira, Helena; Padez, Cristina; Ferrao, Maria; Velasquez, Gustavo // BMC Public Health;2013, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p1
Background Obesity is a significant global public health problem and the main cause of many chronic diseases in both developed and developing countries. The increase in obesity in different populations worldwide cannot be explained solely by metabolic and genetic factors; environmental and...
- News Feature: One step at a time. Powell, Kendall // Nature Medicine;Apr2005, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p363
Focuses on community efforts to control the increase in obesity cases in the United States. Strolling and biking for residents of Stapleton in Colorado; Factors linked to obesity; U.S. government's increase in the recommended daily fruit and vegetable servings.
- Examination Questions. // PT: Magazine of Physical Therapy;Jun2004, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p99
Presents a list of questions on obesity and health. Limitation in using the body mass index; Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the U.S.; Factors influencing the development of obesity.