Body Composition and Heart Failure Prevalence and Prognosis: Getting to the Fat of the Matter in the "Obesity Paradox"
- The relationship between high-fat dairy consumption and obesity, cardiovascular, and metabolic disease. Kratz, Mario; Baars, Ton; Guyenet, Stephan // European Journal of Nutrition;Feb2013, Vol. 52 Issue 1, p1
Purpose: To comprehensively review the data on the relationship between the consumption of dairy fat and high-fat dairy foods, obesity, and cardiometabolic disease. Methods: We have conducted a systematic literature review of observational studies on the relationship between dairy fat and...
- Unravelling the role of gut microbiota in calorie control and satiety. // Food Engineering & Ingredients;Apr/May2010, Vol. 35 Issue 2, p10
The article reports on the research study which revealed that gut microbiota dysbiosis impacts the development of obesity and related metabolic alterations.
- Is the Gut Microbiota a New Factor Contributing to Obesity and Its Metabolic Disorders? Harris, Kristina; Kassis, Amira; Major, Geneviéve; Chou, Chieh J. // Journal of Obesity;2012, p1
The gut microbiota refers to the trillions of microorganisms residing in the intestine and is integral in multiple physiological processes of the host. Recent research has shown that gut bacteria play a role in metabolic disorders such as obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases. The...
- Adult overweight and cardiovascular system: risk or disease? Selthofer-Relatic, Kristina; Bosnjak, Ivica // Anatolian Journal of Cardiology / Anadolu Kardiyoloji Dergisi;Nov2013, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p734
A letter to the editor is presented related to the effect of obesity and overweight on the cardiovascular system of the body.
- Teen weight issues linked to diabetes. // Drug Store News;6/25/2012, Vol. 34 Issue 8, p114
The article focuses on a study published in a previous issue of the journal "Pediatrics," which found an association between obesity and disproportionately higher risk for cardiovascular disease risk factors
- Association of STAT3 Common Variations with Obesity and Hypertriglyceridemia: Protective and Contributive Effects. Zuliang Ma; Guanghai Wang; Xuejiao Chen; Zejin Ou; Fei Zou // International Journal of Molecular Sciences;Jul2014, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p12258
Signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) plays an important role in energy metabolism. Here we explore whether STAT3 common variations influence risks of obesity and other metabolic disorders in a Chinese Han population. Two tagging single nucleotide polymorphisms (tagSNPs),...
- Effects of a Brown Beans Evening Meal on Metabolic Risk Markers and Appetite Regulating Hormones at a Subsequent Standardized Breakfast: A Randomized Cross-Over Study. Nilsson, Anne; Johansson, Elin; Ekström, Linda; Björck, Inger // PLoS ONE;Apr2013, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p1
Background: Dietary prevention strategies are increasingly recognized as essential to combat the current epidemic of obesity and related metabolic disorders. The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the potential prebiotic effects of indigestible carbohydrates in Swedish brown beans...
- BÃ¼yÃ¼me geliÅŸme izleminde kullanÄ±lan antropometrik Ã¶lÃ§Ã¼m yÃ¶ntemleri: BÃ¼yÃ¼me takibinin metodolojisi. Mazıcıoğlu, M. Mmtaz // Turkish Journal of Family Practice / TÃ¼rkiye Aile Hekimligi Der;tem-eyl2011, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p101
The linear but period specific character of physical growth during the first 18 years of life requires age and gender specific references. The most practical and useful of these references may be anthropometric measurements. Certain clinical situations like being overweight and obesity and...
- Fetal Programming of the Neuroendocrine-Immune System and Metabolic Disease. Fisher, R. E.; Steele, M.; Karrow, N. A. // Journal of Pregnancy;2012, p1
Adverse uterine environments experienced during fetal development can alter the projected growth pattern of various organs and systems of the body, leaving the offspring at an increased risk of metabolic disease. The thrifty phenotype hypothesis has been demonstrated as an alteration to the...