Alice in Wonderland Comes to Washington
- Noncharitable gifts of checks completed on deposit. // Practical Accountant;Oct94, Vol. 27 Issue 10, p19
Cites a case involving estate & gift taxes. Maryland law on checks as gifts; Gift tax policy under various doctrines.
- An Empirical Investigation Of The Minority Interest And Marketability Discounts In Valuation Of Closely Held Stock For Estate And Gift Tax Purposes. Englebrecht, Ted D.; Anderson, Mary M.; Martinson, Otto // Journal of Applied Business Research;First Quarter 2006, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p89
The discounts for lack of marketability and minority interest are crucial in reducing the value of transferred interests of closely held companies for estate and gift tax purposes. Because the current highest marginal estate and gift tax rate is 49%, there is a strong inducement for CPAs,...
- Major Estate Planning Implications of the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Brody, Lawrence // Journal of Financial Planning;Oct97, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p40
The article focuses on the estate planning and transfer tax provisions of the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 in the U.S. Some of the major provisions of the act that affect transfer tax planning, as well as some initial planning thoughts are as following: The unified credit is increased over nine...
- CLIENT REPORT. // National Public Accountant;Jul2002, Vol. 47 Issue 4, p44
Provides information on the effect of the U.S. Tax Relief Act of 2001 to the area of estate and gift tax in the U.S. Phase-out of the estate tax; Impact of the law on the income tax on inherited property when sold by heirs; Subjectivity of individual taxpayers to a modified gift tax.
- REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE ON ESTATE AND GIFT TAXES. Wiley, Thomas W. // Tax Lawyer;Summer74, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p558
Focuses on the report of the Committee on Estate and Gift Taxes of the American Bar Association. Legislation of recommendation for federal disclaimer statute; Withdrawal quarterly filing of gift tax returns; Appointment of a committee to evaluate estate and gift tax reform proposals.
- Estate & Gift Tax Decisions. // Banking Law Journal;Nov/Dec2000, Vol. 117 Issue 6, p534
Presents court decisions pertaining to the law of taxes on estates and gifts in the United States, as of November 2000. Estate valuation under comparable rents capitalization; Redemption prior to death of decedent's shares; Right of a estate to present expert testimony with respect to discount...
- Estate Planning Developments. Marcus, Fred J.; Freeman, Douglas K. // Journal of Financial Service Professionals;Sep2000, Vol. 54 Issue 5, p22
Reports on the Death Tax Elimination Act of 2000 which would phase out and eliminate the federal estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer tax in the United States. Support for the cut rates across-the-board; Surprise on the size of the vote in favor of estate tax repeal; Promotion of...
- GRATs offer shelter from estate taxes. Grassi, Carl // Crain's Cleveland Business;4/10/95, Vol. 16 Issue 15, pS-3
Presents information regarding grantor-retained annuity trust (GRAT), a strategy to limit estate and gift taxes of businesses. Increase in estate and gift tax rates due to the 1993 Tax Act; Benefits of using GRATs.
- More to estate tax. Marsalisi, John // Fairfield County Business Journal;7/4/2005, Vol. 44 Issue 27, p30
Reports on the outlining of the new estate and gift tax as enacted by the General Assembly in Connecticut. Exemptions of taxation involved in the new legislation; Application of the legislation to life insurance and pension benefits; Effect of poor drafting by the General Assembly on causing tax...