NEWS IN BRIEF
- PERFORMANCE & REWARD. // People Management;Oct2011, p15
This section offers news briefs on employee performance and rewards in Great Britain as of October 2011. The number of people saving in company pensions schemes has declined since 1991. Additional guidance to businesses on the payment of the minimum wage to interns has been launched by the...
- Put aside gender when hiring. Koshollek, Dave // Dealernews;May2011, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p40
The article presents the author's views concerning the significance of implementing diversity in hiring and selecting employees. The author cites the importance of women employees for the success of the company's operations, particularly in service departments and dealerships. The author...
- EEOC Approves Strategic Enforcement Plan. // Venulex Legal Summaries;2012 Q4, Special section p1
The article focuses on the approval by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) of a Strategic Enforcement Plan (SEP) to establish national enforcement priorities for fiscal years 2013-2016. The national priorities identified by SEP include the elimination of barriers in...
- The economic doctrine of comparable worth. // Commentary;Sep84, Vol. 78 Issue 3, p13
The economic doctrine of comparable worth holds that women in the work force are paid less than they are `worth' in terms of the `value' of what they do. The idea has lately become the main item on the feminist agenda. This article discusses arguments by advocates and opponents of this doctrine.
- One woman's fight for equality. // Good Housekeeping;Mar84, Vol. 197 Issue 3, p84
She first learned she was a victim of discrimination in 1946. The man across from her was earning more money for doing the same job. But there was no law back then. She was paid less because `she was a woman'. She vowed to one day make it right. In 1982, after 36 years, she won in court a...
- Employers must address equal pay gap or face new legislation. Reade, Quentin // Personnel Today;4/1/2003, p4
No abstract available.
- Equal pay for comparable work. // Consumers' Research Magazine;Oct84, Vol. 67 Issue 10, p17
A debate. Pro: Comparable worth is the logical extension of laws that require equal pay for equal work, and non-discriminatory pay scales could be set that would take into account market factors. Con: Questions the argument that discrimination explains the wage gap between men and women, and...
- Wage parity with men? Women now have it--provided they go without children. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;9/4/95, Vol. 22 Issue 38, p44
Discusses factors influencing equal pay levels between men and women in Canada. Decline of women's pay caused by decision to raise children; Flaws in the arguments of female discrimination by North American journalists; Questions on the capacity of day-care to boost pay equality for women.
- Terms of enrichment. Brown, Duncan; Armstrong, Michael // People Management;9/11/1997, Vol. 3 Issue 18, p36
Offers advice on when competence-related pay is suitable. Reasons why competence-related pay is more effective than other remuneration systems; Rising interest in competence-related pay; Qualities control; Varied methods of converting assessments into pay decisions. INSETS: Stout work on...