- Mandate: Old dogs, new tricks. Allerton, Haidee E. // Training & Development;Jun98, Vol. 52 Issue 6, p8
Cites a ruling by the Superior Court in Sacramento, California that firing an older worker does not prove discrimination. Basis for termination of the plaintiff.
- Court carves out another age-bias class: Employees age 50 and older. // HR Specialist: Pennsylvania Employment Law;Jun2012, Vol. 7 Issue 6, p3
The article offers the author's insight on the court case Karlo, et al., v. Pittsburgh Glass Works dealing with reduction in force (RIF) process that could result to age discrimination among employees.
- DOWN AND OUT. Paris, Ellen // Entrepreneur;Sep2000, Vol. 28 Issue 9, p54
Focuses on age-discrimination issues governing the laying off of employees in the United States. Stance of the court regarding age-discrimination claims; Definition of the term `bumping right'; Advice on employers on how to stay out of court.
- COURTS EYE AGE BIAS. Seminerio, Maria // eWeek;06/05/2000, Vol. 17 Issue 23, p67
Focuses on two lawsuits pending in the United States Supreme Court and the California Supreme Court that could clarify what constitutes proof of age discrimination in wrongful termination disputes. Details of each case; Significance of the California case for older workers in all fields;...
- Forced Ranking and Age-Related Employment Discrimination. Osborne, Tom; McCann, Laurie A. // Human Rights;Spring2004, Vol. 31 Issue 2, p6
The article discusses the occurrence of age-related employment discrimination and the adoption of forced ranking systems in U.S. companies. Although forced ranking is not a new technique, it attracted scant attention until the economic downturn spotlighted its use by many employers as a tool in...
- Age discrimination inquiries increasing. Montgomery, Jenny // Indiana Lawyer;3/16/2012, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p7
The article focuses on the increase of inquiries of employees about age discrimination from businesses looking to reduce staff in Indiana. The inquiries are increasing primarily in sales force. Attorneys in the state emphasize that their clients ask about their rights and laws on age...
- EMPLOYMENT & LABOR LAW. Tanick, Marshall H. // Bench & Bar of Minnesota;Jul2011, Vol. 68 Issue 6, p36
The article offers updates related to judiciary employment and labor laws in Minnesota. It discusses several court cases which concerns the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Fair Labor Standards (FLSA), and severance agreement related to termination for cause. Also offered are...
- Before firing, consider entire work history. // HR Specialist: Pennsylvania Employment Law;Sep2013, Vol. 8 Issue 9, p1
The article discusses the Dervas v. Taylor Health and Rehabilitation Center case, wherein Judy, a 60 years old licensed practical nurse, sued her employer for claim of age bias following her termination.
- Fired staffer says manager ignored employee handbook. // Legal Alert for Supervisors;7/19/2010, Vol. 6 Issue 123, p2
The article reports on the case of an employee who was laid off by the supervisor for age discrimination and neglect on following the employee handbook in the U.S.