Multidimensionality of Teacher Participation in School Decision Making
- Building a Learning Organization. Mohr, Nancy; Dichter, Alan // Phi Delta Kappan;Jun2001, Vol. 82 Issue 10, p744
Outlines the development stages that teaching faculties go through in the process of becoming learning organizations. Discussion of the challenges of shared decision-making, or group management, in schools; Description of development stages, including the emergence of a sense of community,...
- Teachers respond to the shared decision-making opportunity. Perry, Constance M.; Brown, David W. // Education;Summer94, Vol. 114 Issue 4, p605
Focuses on teacher involvement in shared decision-making and their desired level of involvement regarding educational issues. Mission, goals and objectives; Curriculum; Communication; Assessment of student progress.
- Teacher LEADERSHIP. Kurtz, Shelly // Leadership;Sep/Oct2009, Vol. 39 Issue 1, p12
The article focuses on the transformation of teachers to become instructional leaders in schools in California. It enumerates six roles of an instructional leader viewed by the National Association of Elementary School Principals which includes prioritizing student and adult learning, setting...
- MY TWO CENTS. FLANDERS, JILL; HELPRIN, DIANNE // Principal;Jan/Feb2011, Vol. 90 Issue 3, p8
The article presents the responses of two readers to a question about risky aspects of teacher-run schools which discuss the role of school principals in maintaining responsibility for school management and fostering teacher leadership.
- TEACHERS' BELIEFS ABOUT SHARED DECISION MAKING AND WORK ALIENATION. Benson, Norman; Malone, Patricia // Education;Spring87, Vol. 107 Issue 3, p244
Relationships between teachers' perceptions concerning their status in decision making and feelings of work alienation (powerlessness) were investigated. A two part questionnaire was administered to 311 teachers from kindergarten through grade 12 in urban and suburban schools. One part asked...
- Management practices for promoting shared decision-making in school organization. Cheng Chi Keung // KEDI Journal of Educational Policy;2008, Vol. 5 Issue 2, p63
This paper predicts the effect of school management practices on teacher participation in decision-making through a quasi-experiment design. The study identifies the decision domains that would provide school administrators practical steps to effectively involve teachers in decision-making under...
- WHAT HAPPENS IN VEGAS�SHOULD HAPPEN. FLANNERY, MARY ELLEN // NEA Today;Aug/Sep2010, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p36
The article profiles an alternative approach to school management in Clark County, Las Vegas, Nevada. It is described as an "empowerment program" that allows the teachers and education support professionals to make the decisions regarding scheduling, curriculum, and other school-wide matters....
- Shadow Governance. Snyder, Martin D. // Academe;Mar/Apr2001, Vol. 87 Issue 2, p107
Addresses the problem of shadow governance which led to the disenfranchisement of faculty at colleges and universities in the United States. Factors that contributed to faculty dissatisfaction; Role of advisory councils; How task forces contributed to shadow governance.
- The Impact of Peer and Principal Collaborative Supervision on Teachers' Trust, Commitment... Ebmeier, Howard; Nicklaus, Janice // Journal of Curriculum & Supervision;Summer99, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p351
Presents a study which explored the impact of collaborative supervision when implemented by peer coaches and by principals on teacher's commitment and trust. Discussion on teacher supervision; Application of an experimental design; Differential impact of principals and peer coaches.