Understaffing issues ignored: patient safety at risk
- Nurses' Strike Won't Hurt Debt, Says Hawaii Health System's CFO. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;12/12/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31531, p3
Focuses on the two-week strike by nurses of the Hawaii Nurses' Association, Hawaii in the month of December 2002. Arrangements made by the Queen's Health System (QHS) for managing the crisis; Ratings assigned to QHS by credit rating agencies Moody's Investors Service Inc. and Standard & Poor's...
- Kaiser strike goes on as planned. // AHA News;09/15/97, Vol. 33 Issue 36, p6
Reports on the strike made by registered nurses of Kaiser Permanente Medical Center San Jose, California in September 1997.
- Quebec nurses enter third week of strike. Spurgeon, David // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);07/17/99, Vol. 319 Issue 7203, p144
Reports on the strike organized by nurses in the province of Quebec, Canada, over low salaries and high taxes. Impact of the strike; Role of Jennie Skene, president of the Quebec Federation of Nurses, in the dispute between the nurses and the province's national assembly; Demands made by the...
- More barbs fly over nurses strike. // National Catholic Reporter;3/10/95, Vol. 31 Issue 19, p5
Reports on criticism of Port Jervis, New York-based Mercy Community Hospital's administration by the Mercy Sisters Regional Community of New York regarding its inaction over the nurses' strike at the hospital. Questions regarding the hiring of permanent replacements for striking nurses;...
- Doctors Med Center RNs say: 'Tenet is out of step' // California Nurse;Nov2002, Vol. 98 Issue 8, p7
Reports on the strike of nurses calling for Doctors Medical Center management to engage in collective bargaining contracts in Pinole and San Pablo, California. Support given by the community to the strikers; Refusal of the management to respond to the concerns of the nurses; Effect of...
- UC Nurses Give Administrators Notice of One-Day Strike. Webb, Marion // San Diego Business Journal;5/20/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 20, p3
Focuses on the one-day strike of the health system nurses at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD). Reason for the strike; Progress on the negotiation between the nurses and the UC administrators; Impact of the strike on temporary nurses working at the UCSD Medical Center.
- N.Y. hospital, nursing home strike over. // H&HN: Hospitals & Health Networks;9/20/96, Vol. 70 Issue 18, p48
Reports on the resolution of the strike of 6000 nurses from 13 New York City hospitals.
- Replacement RNs petition to oust union. Bole, William // National Catholic Reporter;1/6/95, Vol. 31 Issue 10, p4
Reports that nurses at the Mercy Community Hospital (MCH) in Port Jervis, New York went on strike to negotiate for their union contract. Move of MCH to break the strike; Statement of Thomas J. Moakler, MCH president; Petition of replacement workers to abolish MCH union.
- Nurses appear ready to take their grievances to the picket line. Dunn, Philip // AHA News;04/07/97, Vol. 33 Issue 13, p5
Reports on the unrest among registered nurses in the United States that may spark strikes if their grievances are not acted upon. Plan by nurses in Northern California to strike against Kaiser Foundation hospitals; Possible strike by nurses in New York over non-renewal of contract; Organizing...
- Nurses strike in South Africa. Sidley, Pat // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);9/16/95, Vol. 311 Issue 7007, p707
Reports that thousands of South African nurses at state funded hospitals have been on strike for increased salaries. Reactions of South African President Nelson Mandela; Problems with civil service's bargaining system; Government's decision to stick to a policy of strict discipline.