Good evidence supports use of ACE inhibitors in stable ischemic heart disease; little evidence exists for ARBs
- Effect of acute and chronic zofenopril administration on cardiac gene expression. Carnicelli, Vittoria; Frascarelli, Sabina; Zucchi, Riccardo // Molecular & Cellular Biochemistry;Jun2011, Vol. 352 Issue 1/2, p301
We investigated whether acute and chronic administration of zofenopril, an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor, may modulate the expression of genes which are involved in the pathophysiology of myocardial ischemia and heart failure. We used an acute and a chronic model. In the former...
- ACE Inhibitors Effective in Preventing Heart Failure. Carter, Chuck // American Family Physician;11/15/2003, Vol. 68 Issue 10, p2062
Discusses the study "Prevention of Heart Failure in Patients in the Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation (HOPE) Study," by J. M. Arnold et al, published in the March 11, 2003 issue of "Circulation."
- How Do We Prevent the Vulnerable Atherosclerotic Plaque From Rupturing? Insights From In Vivo Assessments of Plaque, Vascular Remodeling, and Local Endothelial Shear Stress. Andreou, Ioannis; Antoniadis, Antonios P.; Shishido, Koki; Papafaklis, Michail I.; Koskinas, Konstantinos C.; Chatzizisis, Yiannis S.; Coskun, Ahmet U.; Edelman, Elazer R.; Feldman, Charles L.; Stone, Peter H. // Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology & Therapeutics;May2015, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p261
Coronary atherosclerosis progresses both as slow, gradual enlargement of focal plaque and also as a more dynamic process with periodic abrupt changes in plaque geometry, size, and morphology. Systemic vasculoprotective therapies such as statins, angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors, and...
- Ace inhibitors to benefit patients with stable CHD. // GP: General Practitioner;9/8/2003, p9
The angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor perindopril, currently licensed for treatment of hypertension, could also benefit patients with stable coronary heart disease. The EUROPA study randomized 12,218 patients with stable coronary disease from 24 European countries to receive either 8mg/day...
- Another French connection. // Consumer Reports on Health;Nov93, Vol. 5 Issue 11, p125
Presents information on an study which compares the eating habits of middle class Parisians and Bostonians. Hypothesized correlation of French eating habits to their low coronary heart disease risk.
- Exercise echo is a good first step to find coronary... // Modern Medicine;Dec95, Vol. 63 Issue 12, p34
Presents an abstract of the report `Exercise echocardiography is an Accurate and Cost-Efficient Technique for Detection of Coronary Artery Disease in Women,' by T. H. Marwick, T. Anderson et al from the `J Am Coll Cardiol' dated August 1995.
- ACE inhibitor should be standard for all patients with stable CHD. // Formulary;Oct2003, Vol. 38 Issue 10, p577
Reports on the finding that the angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor perindopril in addition to standard preventive medications improves cardiac outcomes in patients with stable coronary heart disease (CHD), regardless of their risk status at baseline. Association of the reduction in...
- Preventing clinical heart failure: the rationale and scientific evidence. Wood, D.A. // Heart;Oct2002 Supplement 2, Vol. 88, pIi15
Discusses the rationale behind prevention of clinical heart failure. Epidemiology of clinical heart failure based on London, England studies; Survival rates for clinical heart failure patients; Priorities and strategies for coronary heart disease prevention; Audits of preventive cardiology...
- Darbepoetin improves endothelial function and increases circulating endothelial progenitor cell number in patients with coronary artery disease. Mueller, Cornelius; Wodack, Karin; Twelker, Kaja; Werner, Nikos; Custodis, Florian; Nickenig, Georg // Heart;Sep2011, Vol. 97 Issue 18, p1474
Background: Atherosclerosis is a progressive disease characterized in part by an imbalance of endothelial decline and endothelial repair. Erythropoietin has been connected to vasculoprotective effects such as enhanced nitric oxide production in endothelial cells and mobilization of endothelial...