Review: Statin use increases risk for diabetes
- Effect of pioglitazone and its combination with statins in coronary artery disease patients with hyperinsulinemia. Mehta, Anita; Shah, Urmil; Parikh, Keyur; Chag, Milan; Baxi, Hemang; Chandarana, Anish; Naik, Ajay; Naik, Asha; Shah, Kanan; Goyal, Ramesh // Canadian Journal of Physiology & Pharmacology;Jun2007, Vol. 85 Issue 6, p628
The objective of the study was to demonstrate the effect of pioglitazone and pioglitazone in combination with statin on East Indian patients with hyperinsulinemia and hyperlipidemia. It was a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study with a parallel-group design comprising 83 patients....
- Statins in patients with diabetes. Kirchner, Jeffrey // Patient Care;Nov2004, Vol. 38 Issue 11, p70
Focuses on a study on the effectiveness of cardiovascular disease prevention with the use of statin in patients with type 2 diabetes without elevated LDL-cholesterol levels. Number of participants in the study; Comparison of patient deaths in the placebo group and the statin group; Implications...
- Benefits of Statins Outweigh Diabetes Risk. // Clarendon Enterprise (TX);10/11/2012, Vol. 23 Issue 41, p8
The article offers information that the heart benefits of statins reduce the chances for developing diabetes.
- Statins and risk of developing diabetes. Kuritzky, Louis // Clinical Oncology Alert;May2010 Supplement, p9
The article discusses a research study on the association between statin treatment and increased risk of new onset-diabetes, published in a 2010 issue of the journal "The Lancet."
- Correction:. // Townsend Letter;Aug/Sep2010, Issue 325/326, p112
A correction to the article "Statins Cause Diabetes," by Alan R. Gaby in the June 2010 issue is presented.
- Statin potency associated with incident diabetes in a real-world evaluation. Steen, Dylan L.; Bhatt, Deepak L. // Evidence Based Medicine;Apr2014, Vol. 19 Issue 2, p68
The authors discuss a study by A. A. Carter and colleagues regarding the dose-effect relationship of statin in diabetics and the risks of different statins in diabetes. Topics include the use of linked administrative healthcare databases, the incidence of diabetes in people prescribed with...
- Do statins increase the risk of developing diabetes? Parker, Kristin; Dohr, Karen; Neher, Jon O.; Kelsberg, Gary; Anna, Leilani St. // Journal of Family Practice;Apr2015, Vol. 64 Issue 4, p245
The article presents an answer to a question whether statins increase the risk of developing diabetes.
- Online CME Quiz Questions: Risk of Incident Diabetes With Intensive-Dose Compared With Moderate-Dose Statin Therapy. // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;6/22/2011, Vol. 305 Issue 24, p2584
A continuing medical education (CME) quiz about the risk of incident diabetes with intensive-dose and moderate-dose statin therapy is presented.
- Statins in the prevention of lithium-associated diabetes insipidus: preliminary findings. Elie, Dominique; Segal, Marilyn; Low, Nancy C P; Mucsi, Istvan; Holcroft, Christina; Shulman, Kenneth; J. Looper, Karl; Rej, Soham // Kidney International;Apr2015, Vol. 87 Issue 4, p862
A letter to the editor is presented in response to an article about statins as prevention of lithium-associated diabetes insipidus.