Participation of traditional birth attendants in prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV services in two rural districts in Zimbabwe: a feasibility study
- Knowledge and practice of prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV among traditional birth attendants in Lagos State, Nigeria. Balogun, Mobolanle; Odeyemi, Kofo // Pan African Medical Journal;2011, Vol. 5, p1
Background:Traditional birth attendants (TBAs) assist most deliveries in Nigeria. Knowing and understanding all issues surrounding HIV/AIDS and Prevention of Mother-To-Child Transmission of HIV (PMTCT) can help them to protect themselves and others. This study aimed to assess the knowledge and...
- Giving Birth Away From Home. Dassy, Sophie // Positive Health;Jun2003, Issue 89, p25
Describes the successful home delivery of a baby through the services of a midwife by a mother of two in Belgium. Interpersonal relationship with midwife; Physical and emotional support during stages of labor; Care in the manipulation of baby and mother to allow good positioning during delivery.
- homebirth again proven safe. // Mothering;Sep/Oct2005, Issue 132, p24
Cites a new study that was published in an issue of the periodical "British Medical Journal," related to the safety of homebirth attended by direct-entry midwives.
- Pregnant? How about a midwife? Kent, Debra // Cosmopolitan;Nov95, Vol. 219 Issue 5, p102
Discusses the advantages and disadvantages of hiring a midwife to assist in traditional childbirth. Definition of terms; Comparison with nurses and obstetricians; Midwife's characteristics including the care for the whole woman.
- Home birth. Mabry, Ellen Rae // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;Nov/Dec93, Vol. 77 Issue 6, p63
Presents information on home births. Safety as in hospital birth; Average rate of Caesarian section for home births; List of recommended books about home birth; Contacting the Midwives Alliance of North America; Importance of knowing one's rights; Education about procedures; Attendant benefits...
- Kate's Home Birth Story. // Midwifery Matters;Winter2002, Issue 95, p12
Recounts home birth experience of a woman named Kate. Mistakes committed by the midwives during the process; Lessons learned from the experience.
- I did it! A VBAC water birth at home. Hinchliffe, Linda // AIMS Journal;2002, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p12
Shares the author's experience with water birth at home. Ante intra and postpartum care provided by the Farnborough team midwives; Vaginal examination; Drug used to cope with contractions.
- Lone birth-not just lucky. Lord, Anne // AIMS Journal;2002, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p13
Shares the author's experience with giving birth at home. Continuity of care; Midwives' lack of skills in water birth; Erroneous health issues received by the author.
- Pioneering home birth midwife dies. // Midwifery News;Jun2012, Issue 65, p39
The article announces the death of Ursula Helem, a midwife who helped pioneer the revival of home births in New Zealand.