Implementation of a workplace smoking ban in bars: the limits of local discretion
- Indoor smoking ordinances in workplaces and public places in Kansas. Neuberger, John S.; Davis, Ken; Nazir, Niaman; Dunton, Nancy; Winn, Kimberly; Jacquot, Sandy; Moler, Don // Nicotine & Tobacco Research;Aug2010, Vol. 12 Issue 8, p828
Introduction:: The purpose of this study was to investigate the preferences of elected city officials regarding the need for a statewide clean indoor air law and to analyze the content of local smoking ordinances.
- Smoking Ban Clears Final House Committee. // Minnesota Medicine;May2007, Vol. 90 Issue 5, p21
The article provides updates on the Freedom to Breathe Act in Minnesota. The act, which would ban smoking in workplaces including bars and restaurants passed the House Finance Committee. Minnesota Medical Association (MMA) and other clean-air advocates were removing provisions that would allow...
- news: IN BRIEF. // Personnel Today;12/5/2006, p3
The article presents news briefs from Great Britain with emphasis on the events related to the British journal "Personnel Today." The December 2006 issue of the journal is offering a free copy of HR Buyers' Guide 2007. Photographs from the Personnel Today Awards 2006 are available at the Web...
- Workplace smoking ban. // Accountancy;May2007, Vol. 139 Issue 1365, p120
The article reports that the Smoke-Free (Premises and Enforcement) Regulations 2006 will take effect on July 1, 2007. The regulations place a ban on smoking in public places in England, including most workplaces. The article reports that there are fines for smoking transgressions, such as...
- Agreement Between Self-reports and On-Site Inspections of Compliance With a Workplace Smoking Ban. Verdonk-Kleinjan, Wendy M. I.; Rijswijk, Pieter C. P.; Candel, Math J. J. M.; de Vries, Hein; Knibbe, Ronald A. // Nicotine & Tobacco Research;Sep2012, Vol. 14 Issue 9, p1121
Introduction: This study compares self-reports on compliance with a workplace smoking ban with on-site inspections of the same workplace, in the Netherlands, to assess the validity of self-reported compliance by employees. Methods: A total of 360 companies had participated in the telephone...
- THANK YOU FOR NOT SMOKING. Blyth, Alex // Accountancy;Feb2007, Vol. 139 Issue 1362, p32
The article discusses a nation-wide workplace smoking ban in Great Britain that will be incorporated July 2007. The author gives advice to employers on implementing a smoking policy in the workplace in order to avoid the fines associated with the law. The penalties of the law and...
- Maryland court upholds statewide smoking ban. // Nation's Restaurant News;3/13/95, Vol. 29 Issue 11, p2
Reports on a Maryland Court of Appeals' ruling that a controversial 1994 regulation banning smoking in workplaces statewide is legal and should go into effect starting March 27, 1995. Details of the case; Restaurant owners' opposition to the regulation.
- Should people have a right to smoke? // Glamour;Dec93, Vol. 91 Issue 12, p156
Discusses anti-smoking policies in the United States. Ban on smoking in public places; Lawsuits against fast-food chains for their failure to ban smoking in their restaurants; Lawsuit filed by cigarette companies against the federal government on the classification of secondhand smoke as...
- Smoking ban temporarily snuffed. // Occupational Hazards;Oct94, Vol. 56 Issue 10, p85
Reports that a ban on smoking in the workplace has been temporarily suspended in Maryland. Reasons for suspension; Possible harmful effects on businesses; Implications of ban.