Lost opportunities in HIV prevention: programmes miss places where exposures are highest
- Briefing: riding the tiger: Contextualizing HIV prevention in South Africa. Campbell, Catherine; Williams, Brian // African Affairs;Jan2001, Vol. 100 Issue 398, p135
Discusses factors affecting the fight to reduce HIV transmission in South Africa. Formulation of the National AIDS Plan in 1994; Dynamics underpinning the formulation of local HIV-related policies and interventions by non-local experts; Paradigm drift away from health education towards...
- Coping with HIV in Pakistan. // Contemporary Sexuality;Oct2011, Vol. 45 Issue 10, p8
The article presents information on efforts to treat and prevent HIV and AIDS in Pakistan, noting how intravenous drug users and migrant workers returning from Arab states have increased concerns of HIV transmission.
- Earlier Diagnosis of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Infection and More Counseling. Drotman, D. Peter // Annals of Internal Medicine;5/1/89, Vol. 110 Issue 9, p680
Deals with early diagnosis of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. Efforts to control HIV transmission; Discussions on what physicians can do to curb the effect of AIDS; Lack of specific HIV vaccines.
- The HIV/AIDS Epidemic. // Population Reports;Apr99, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p6
States that the extent of the AIDS epidemic underscores the urgent need for condoms. How HIV affects the human body; How HIV/AIDS spreads; Prospects for AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa and developing countries of Asia.
- HIV-1-Discordant Couples in Sub-Saharan Africa: Explanations and Implications for High Rates of Discordancy. Guthrie, Brandon L.; De Bruyn, Guy; Farquhar, Carey // Current HIV Research;Oct2007, Vol. 5 Issue 4, p416
In sub-Saharan Africa, approximately 1 in 2 HIV-1-infected persons living in a couple have a serodiscordant partner. Recent data suggest a large proportion of new HIV-1 infections in mature epidemics occur within discordant couples, making discordancy a major contributor to the spread of...
- MISINTERPRETATION OF THE 'SAFE SEX/NO SEX' PREVENTION STRATEGY. Mutinta, G.; Whiteside, A. // Southern African Journal of HIV Medicine;Dec2011, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p39
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Feasibility and Acceptability of Sexual Abstinence for Interruption of HIV Transmission Among Individuals With Acute Infection Formative Data from CHAVI 011" in the 2011 issue.
- POINT/COUNTER. Cotton, Mark; Beckerman, Karen P. // Infectious Diseases in Children;May2010, Vol. 23 Issue 5, p11
The authors comments on using nevirapine to prevent transmission of HIV from mother to child.
- Mercy mission. Southam, Hazel // Geographical (Geographical Magazine Ltd.);Feb2013, Vol. 85 Issue 2, p27
The article focuses on the role of Biblical parable of Good Samaritan in reducing the prevalence rates of HIV/AIDS pandemic among rural communities of sub-Saharan African countries. It informs that theses religious workers are using biblical story of the Good Samaritan as its base in explaining...
- SPANISH CATHOLIC CHURCH OKs CONDOM USE, THEN BACKTRACKS. Wockner, Rex // Just Out;2/4/2005, Vol. 22 Issue 7, p21
Reports that Spain's Roman Catholic Church broke with the Vatican by approving the use of condoms to protect against HIV transmission. Church's stance on masturbation, oral sex and use of birth control methods; Possible role of condoms in the global prevention of AIDS.