That is why I stopped the ART: patients' & providers' perspectives on barriers to and enablers of HIV treatment adherence in a South African workplace programme
- HIV Risks Associated with Patronizing Alcohol Serving Establishments in South African Townships, Cape Town. Cain, Demetria; Pare, Valerie; Kalichman, Seth; Harel, Ofer; Mthembu, Jacqueline; Carey, Michael; Carey, Kate; Mehlomakulu, Vuyelwa; Simbayi, Leickness; Mwaba, Kelvin // Prevention Science;Dec2012, Vol. 13 Issue 6, p627
Alcohol use has been closely linked with HIV risk behaviors in South Africa. The places where people drink are often the same settings in which they meet new sex partners and may contribute independently to sexual risk. This current study examines the independent effects of patronizing alcohol...
- Alcohol use and HIV risk behaviors among rural adolescents in Khanh Hoa Province Viet Nam. Kaljee, L. M.; Genberg, B. L.; Minh, T. T.; Tho, L. H.; Thoa, L. T. K.; Stanton, B. // Health Education Research;Feb2005, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p71
Research suggests that youth are consuming more alcohol and at younger ages than in the past. Data also indicate that alcohol consumption is associated with participation in other risk behaviors including aggression and sexual behaviors. As part of a randomized control effectiveness trial for an...
- Drinking increases HIV susceptibility. // USA Today Magazine;Feb94, Vol. 122 Issue 2585, p7
Reports on a study on decrease in resistance to the HIV virus in alcohol drinkers. Test tube experiments with participants' blood; Decrease in time between infection and development of full-blown AIDS; Susceptibility independent of amount; Harm from impairment of judgment.
- Acamprosate after detox helps prevent relapse. // Pulse;9/15/2010, Vol. 70 Issue 26, p13
The article reports on the unlikeliness of patients who take acamprosate after alcohol detoxification to return to drinking than thos who do not accordig to German researchers.
- Jimmy the Bartender. Jimmy; LUKE; LENNY; JIM; MIKE; JOHN; KYLE // Men's Health;Nov2015, Vol. 30 Issue 9, p44
The article presents questions and answers related to daily living including how to convince wife for weekends plans, how to clean jokes from social networks if boss is following and is it wrong to drink below the age of 19 years.
- Multiple Sexual Partnerships in a Sample of African-American Crack Smokers. Atkinson, John; Williams, Mark; Timpson, Sandra; Schönnesson, Lena // AIDS & Behavior;Feb2010, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p48
The sample for this study consisted of 692 sexually active African-American crack cocaine users living in Houston, TX who reported more than one sexual partner in the previous 30 days. Participants were asked to describe each of their two most recent partners from a list of eight choices:...
- Queer & Healthy. Libey, Erik // Empty Closet;Dec/Jan2004, Issue 364, pB7
Presents health concerns that can be associated with alcohol use. Discussion on alcoholism; Link between alcohol and sexually transmitted disease and HIV risk; Advice on drinking alcohol.
- Six rapid assessments of alcohol and other substance use in populations displaced by conflict. Ezard, Nadine; Oppenheimer, Edna; Burton, Ann; Schilperoord, Marian; Macdonald, David; Adelekan, Moruf; Sakarati, Abandokoth; van Ommeren, Mark // Conflict & Health;2011, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p1
Background: Substance use among populations displaced by conflict is a neglected area of public health. Alcohol, khat, benzodiazepine, opiate, and other substance use have been documented among a range of displaced populations, with wide-reaching health and social impacts. Changing agendas in...
- Cortical NAA Deficits in HIV Infection without Dementia: Influence of Alcoholism Comorbidity. Pfefferbaum, Adolf; Adalsteinsson, Elfar; Suuivan, Edith V // Neuropsychopharmacology;Jul2005, Vol. 30 Issue 7, p1392
Alcoholism comorbidity is highly prevalent in individuals infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). Each condition is known to affect brain structure, function, and metabolism, but the combined effects on the brain have only recently been considered. Single-voxel, proton MR spectroscopy...