Obstacles to prompt and effective malaria treatment lead to low community-coverage in two rural districts of Tanzania
- Seasonal and geographic differences in treatment-seeking and household cost of febrile illness among children in Malawi. Ewing, Victoria L.; Lalloo, David G.; Phiri, Kamija S.; Roca-Feltrer, Arantxa; Mangham, Lindsay J.; SanJoaquin, Miguel A. // Malaria Journal;2011, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p32
Background: Households in malaria endemic countries experience considerable costs in accessing formal health facilities because of childhood malaria. The Ministry of Health in Malawi has defined certain villages as hard-toreach on the basis of either their distance from health facilities or...
- Bed net ownership, use and perceptions among women seeking antenatal care in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC): opportunities for improved maternal and child health. Pettifor, Audrey; Taylor, Eboni; Nku, David; Duvall, Sandra; Tabala, Martine; Meshnick, Steve; Behets, Frieda // BMC Public Health;2008, Vol. 8, p331
Background: To describe malaria knowledge, attitudes toward malaria and bed net use, levels of ownership and use of bed nets, and factors associated with ownership and use among pregnant women attending their first antenatal care (ANC) visit in Kinshasa, DRC. Methods: Women attending their first...
- The Gifts Of Healing. M. S. // Gifts & Decorative Accessories;Dec98, Vol. 99 Issue 12, p314
Features the retail shop offered by the Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Arizona. Employees of the clinic; Reason for the decision to build a retail shop; How the clinic de-emphasized the limited space of the store; Storage.
- Fast and Furious: In-Store Health Clinics Grab Spotlight. Alaimo, Dan // SN: Supermarket News;3/12/2007, Vol. 55 Issue 11, p12
The author addresses the rapid growth of nurse-staffed health clinics in retail stores in the U.S. He describes the business model for these clinics. He cites some of the advantages of these in-store health clinics. He looks at the opportunities available for supermarkets in response to the...
- Catching them young. Milton, Tina // Leisure & Hospitality Business;7/11/2002, p40
Reports on fitness club operator Children First Clubs' opening of children-only health clubs in London, England by 2003. Amenities; Perception of the fitness activities for children to have plus points for child development; Need for operators to find ways to encourage children to become weight...
- The rise and fall of supervision in a project designed to strengthen supervision of Integrated Management of Childhood Illness in Benin. Rowe, Alexander K.; Onikpo, Faustin; Lama, Marcel; Deming, Michael S. // Health Policy & Planning;Mar2010, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p125
Objective In developing countries, supervision is a widely recognized strategy for improving health worker performance; and anecdotally, maintaining regular, high-quality supervision is difficult. However, remarkably little research has explored in depth why supervision is so challenging.
- Pesticides putting children at unnecessary risk. // Nation's Health;Oct2002, Vol. 32 Issue 8, p32
Focuses on a report released by New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer regarding the exposure of children to unhealthy levels of pesticides in their homes, at school and at public parks. Key findings from the report; Vulnerability of children's developing organs to pesticides; Discovery of...
- THE BUZZ. // Wenatchee Business Journal;Apr2001, Vol. 15 Issue 4, pA3
Reports business developments in Wenatchee, Washington as of April 2001. Opening of the Lebanese restaurant, Salaam Cafe; Expansion of the services of Hair Doctors; Sale of the medical emergency response company Medi-Alert to Link to Life.
- OPEN FOR BUSINESS STRATEGIES FOR DESIGNING RETAIL SPACES IN HEALTH CARE FACILITIES. Dubbs, Dana // Health Facilities Management;May2003, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p19
Presents strategies for designing retail spaces in health care facilities. Amenities at the Northwestern Memorial Hospital facility in Chicago, Illinois; Motive of some of the facilities for going beyond having traditional gift shop and pharmacy stores; Techniques that hospitals and clinics...