Drugs and herbs given to prevent hepatotoxicity of tuberculosis therapy: systematic review of ingredients and evaluation studies
- Acute Hepatitis Associated with the Use of a Chinese Herbal Product, Ma-huang. Nadir, Abdul; Agrawal, Sangeeta; King, Paul D.; Marshall, John B. // American Journal of Gastroenterology;Jul1996, Vol. 91 Issue 7, p1436
Herbal medicines are widely perceived by the public as being healthful and innocuous. A number of herbal medicines have nosy been linked with hepatotoxicity. We report a case of acute hepatitis associated with the use of ma-huang, a herbal product derived from plants of the Ephedra...
- Risks of black cohosh remedy. // Pulse;11/8/2004, Vol. 64 Issue 44, p17
Reports on the risk of hepatotoxicity from the herbal medicine black cohosh, a common alternative to hormone replacement therapy.
- In Vitro Toxicity of Kava Alkaloid, Pipermethystine, in HepG2 Cells Compared to Kavalactones. Nerurkar, Pratibha V.; Dragull, Klaus; Chung-Shih Tang // Toxicological Sciences;May2004, Vol. 79 Issue 1, p106
Kava herbal supplements have been recently associated with acute hepatotoxicity, leading to the ban of kava products in approximately a dozen countries around the world. It is suspected that some alkaloids from aerial kava may have contributed to the problem. Traditionally, Pacific Islanders use...
- Herbal medicines. // Reactions Weekly;6/5/2010, Issue 1304, p20
The article describes five cases of patients aged 29 to 78 years who presented with hepatotoxicity after taking herbal medicines.
- Herbal medicines. // Reactions Weekly;10/30/2010, Issue 1325, p18
The article describes the case of a 31-year-old woman who experienced hepatoxicity while undergoing treatment with herbal supplement Hydroxycut.
- Herbal medicines. // Reactions Weekly;7/24/2010, Issue 1311, p26
The article describes the case of a young man who experienced hepatotoxicity after taking a herbal supplement called Hydroxycut Hardcore.
- RESEARCH IN HERBAL MEDICINES. Khoury, Raymond // Journal of the Australian Traditional-Medicine Society;Sep2003, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p143
Presents two studies in herbal medicines. Research on whether scientific evidence supports the restriction of comfrey for internal use due to its pyrrolizidine alkaloid content which is hepatotoxic; Assessment of the biological activity of Verbascum thapsus extracts using different solvents to...
- HEPATOPROTECTIVE ACTIVITY OFA POLY HERBAL EXTRACT IN CARBON TETRA CHLORIDE INTOXICATED HEPATOTOXICITY IN MALE ALBINO RATS. KAVITHA., M.; KARIMULLA, S. K.; KUMAR, DEEPAK; VINOTH, KUMAR.S.; SATHISH, KUMAR. R.; GURUCHARAN., M. // International Journal of Pharma & Bio Sciences;Jul-Sep2011, Vol. 2 Issue 3, pP.307
The Poly herbal ethanolic extract (PHEE) was evaluated for its anti hepatotoxic potential against carbon tetrachloride (CCL4) induced hepatic damage in male albino rats. Ethanolic extract from the leaves of Melia azadirachta, seeds of Piper longum and whole plant of Eclipta alba at a dose level...
- Acute Toxicity and Hepatotoxicokinetic Studies of Tamarindus indica Extract. Nwodo, Uchechukwu U.; Ngene, Augustine A.; Anaga, Aruh O.; Chigor, Vincent N.; Henrietta, Igbinosa I.; Okoh, Anthony I. // Molecules;Sep2011, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p7415
Tamarindus indica is widely used as a food and beverage and in traditional medicine. The apparent lack of dose standardization in herbal medicine necessitates the evaluation of the lethality T. indica on Artemia salina nauplii and chicken embryos via in vitro and in vivo techniques. Furthermore,...