Alcohol use as a risk factor for tuberculosis - a systematic review
- Hopelessness as a basis for tuberculosis diagnostic delay in the Arkhangelsk region: a grounded theory study. Kuznetsov, Vladimir N.; Grjibovski, Andrej M.; Mariandyshev, Andrej O.; Johansson, Eva; Enarson, Donald A.; Bjune, Gunnar A. // BMC Public Health;2013, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p1
Background: Data about delayed tuberculosis diagnosis in Northern Russia are scarce yet such knowledge could enhance the care of tuberculosis. The Arkhangelsk region is situated in the north of Russia, where the population is more than one million residents. The aim of the study was to...
- Alcohol Use Disorders (AUD) among Tuberculosis Patients: A Study from Chennai, South India. Suhadev, Mohanarani; Thomas, Beena E.; Sakthivel, M. Raja; Murugesan, P.; Chandrasekaran, V.; Charles, Niruparani; Durga, R.; Auxilia, M.; Mathew, Trini A.; Wares, Fraser // PLoS ONE;2011, Vol. 6 Issue 5, p1
Background: Alcohol Use Disorders (AUDs) among tuberculosis (TB) patients are associated with nonadherence and poor treatment outcomes. Studies from Tuberculosis Research Centre (TRC), Chennai have reported that alcoholism has been one of the major reasons for default and mortality in under the...
- Criteria for the Diagnosis of Alcoholism. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Aug72, Vol. 77 Issue 2, p249
Presents the criteria for the diagnosis of alcoholism established by the National Council on Alcoholism. Purposes of the diagnostic criteria; Nature of alcoholism; Treatment for alcoholism.
- Association between biomass fuel and pulmonary tuberculosis: a nested caseâ€”control study. Kolappan, C.; Subramani, R. // Thorax;Aug2009, Vol. 64 Issue 8, p19
Objective: To quantify the association between biomass fuel usage and sputum-positive pulmonary tuberculosis. Methodology: A tuberculosis prevalence survey was conducted in a random sample of 50 rural units (villages) and three urban units in the Tiruvallur district of Tamilnadu, India during...
- Psychosocial Characteristics of Patients Admitted to a Drug Rehabilitation Unit in Nigeria. Eze, George O.; James, Bawo O.; Omoaregba, Joyce O.; Osahon, Reuben O. // International Journal of Health Research;Dec2009, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p333
Purpose: To identify the pattern and psychosocial characteristics of alcohol and other psychoactive substance use among patients admitted to a drug treatment unit of a regional psychiatric hospital in Benin City, Nigeria. Methods: A cross-sectional survey of 90 in-patients was conducted over a 6...
- Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices of Physicians in Tomsk Oblast Tuberculosis Services Regarding Alcohol Use Among Tuberculosis Patients in Tomsk, Russia. Mathew, Trini A.; Shields, Alan L.; Imasheva, Aizhan; Shin, Sonya S.; Mishustin, Sergey P.; Peremitin, Gennady G.; Strelis, Aivar K.; Yanova, Galina V.; Greenfield, Shelly F.; Furin, Jennifer J. // Culture, Medicine & Psychiatry;Dec2009, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p523
In recent years, the Russian Federation has seen a dramatic rise in morbidity and mortality from tuberculosis (TB), attributed in part to an increase in alcohol use disorders (AUDs), which are associated with worse TB treatment outcomes. This study describes the knowledge, attitudes and...
- The association between alcohol use, alcohol use disorders and tuberculosis (TB). A systematic review. Rehm, Jürgen; Samokhvalov, Andriy V.; Neuman, Manuela G.; Room, Robin; Parry, Charles; Lönnroth, Knut; Patra, Jayadeep; Poznyak, Vladimir; Popova, Svetlana // BMC Public Health;2009, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p450
Background: In 2004, tuberculosis (TB) was responsible for 2.5% of global mortality (among men 3.1%; among women 1.8%) and 2.2% of global burden of disease (men 2.7%; women 1.7%). The present work portrays accumulated evidence on the association between alcohol consumption and TB with the aim to...
- The older alcoholic: Recognizing the subtle clinical clues. Egbert, Anne M. // Geriatrics;Jul93, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p63
Provides a list of clues pointing to alcoholism in older patients. Misdiagnosis of widespread problem; Adverse physical effects in the older alcoholic; Alcohol-related brain injury; Late-onset alcoholism as a response to life events; Diagnosis using clinical clues and screening tests; Treatment.
- Diagnosis and Assessment of Alcohol Use Disorders Among Adolescents. MARTIN, CHRISTOPHER S.; WINTERS, KEN C. // Alcohol Health & Research World;1998, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p95
Summarizes the role of diagnostic classification in the treatment and research of alcohol use disorders (AUD) and describes the diagnostic criteria for AUD. Assessment of AUD among adolescents; Commonly used diagnostic interviews for adolescents.