Estimating the costs of school closure for mitigating an influenza pandemic
- Urban Education. Gewertz, Catherine // Education Week;2/26/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 24, p9
Reports on addition of parents to a school program that engage school staff and police to find truants to decrease the truancy rate in schools in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Need for criminal-background checks for participants in the program; Four-days training to participants from contracted...
- Truancy and prosecution figures released. // 14-19 Learning & Skills Bulletin;11/11/2011, Issue 37, p2
The article provides information on statistical figures released by the government of Great Britain which shows several charges levied on parents for their children's short attendance in schools.
- Number of parents prosecuted over school truancy quadruples. Higgs, Lauren // Children & Young People Now (Haymarket Business Publications Ltd;3/9/2010, p4
The article discusses the figure on the number of parents who are prosecuted for its offenses related to a failure to attend school from 2001 to 2008 in Great Britain.
- What to do when kids don't want to go back to school. // USA Today Magazine;Jul97, Vol. 126 Issue 2626, p7
Discusses what a parent should do when a child does not want to go to school. Reasons for a child's school avoidance; What to do when a child feigns illness to get out of going to school; Best policy for parents; Comments from Randall Flanery, assistant professor of community and family...
- Truancy and prosecution figures released. // Education (14637073);11/11/2011, Issue 447, p4
This article discusses figures that were published on the prosecution of parents in Great Britain for their children's truancy, with 25 being sentenced to prison and thousands being fined.
- WHEN DUTY CALLS. Harker, Lisa // Community Care;1/23/2003, Issue 1456, p20
Investigates the government's attempts to tackle truancy in Great Britain. Discussion on balancing rights with responsibilities; Role of parents in tackling truancy; Methods used in enforcing parental responsibility in ensuring their children attend school; Impact of a parent's incarceration...
- Punishing Absentees' Parents. Lyall, Sarah // New York Times Upfront;2/7/2003, Vol. 135 Issue 9, p7
Reports on the proposal of the British government to give principals, police and welfare officials the right to fine parents whose children are chronic absentees as of February 7, 2003. Overview of the plan; Amount of fine that will be imposed on the parents if children continue to avoid school.
- Easing Into Vacation. Raymond, Ilene // Parenting;Jun/Jul2001, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p161
Suggests ways by which a parent can help children to make the transition from school activities to vacation periods. Presentation of summer activities; How to address things that worry the child; Importance of helping the child maintain a relationship with his former classmates.
- Fine Parents if Kids Skip School? // Scholastic News -- Edition 4;1/28/2013, Vol. 75 Issue 14, p7
The article presents readers' opinions about a proposal in a number of U.S. cities to fine parents whose children skip school.