The ENDORSE study: research into environmental determinants of obesity related behaviors in Rotterdam schoolchildren
- Health consequences of obesity. Reilly J J; Methven E; McDowell Z C; Hacking B; Alexander D; Stewart L; Kelnar C J H // Archives of Disease in Childhood;Sep2003, Vol. 88 Issue 9, p748
The recent epidemic of childhood obesity(1) has raised concern because of the possible clinical and public health consequences.(2,)(3) However, there remains a widespread perception among health professionals that childhood obesity is a largely cosmetic problem, with minor clinical effects. No...
- Obesity strategy fails early years. Rawstrone, Annette // Nursery World (MA Education Limited);8/22/2016, Vol. 116 Issue 4401, p6
The article offers several recommendations from "Childhood Obesity: a plan for action" from Public Health England on how to reduce the childhood obesity in the Great Britain.
- Consider using a multidisciplinary approach when treating obese children. Brockenbrough, Gina // Orthopedics Today;Oct2009, Vol. 29 Issue 10, p50
The article reports on the need to identify childhood obesity as a serious public health concern according to Canadian orthopedist Benjamin A. Alman.
- Improving Children's Health: 10 PRINCIPALS CAN HELP. McDonald, Jane // Principal;Jan/Feb2006, Vol. 85 Issue 3, p16
The article reports that the growing obesity epidemic in the United States, give school principals the opportunity to address the health needs of school-aged children. The principals need to commit the effort to support health education. The assistance of community members can help improve...
- THE JECH GALLERY. Ellaway, A.; Macintyre, S. // Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health;May2003, Vol. 57 Issue 5, p315
Observes the differing aspects of play areas that might influence their use as an activity arena by children. Key role of playgrounds in encouraging children to increase physical activity and reduce obesity cases among kids; Differences in the plat areas' attractiveness and potential to injure;...
- FAT CHANCES. Bush, Vanessa // Essence (Time Inc.);Sep2002, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p76
Addresses the obesity problem among children in the U.S.. Extent of the problem; Factors contributing to obesity; Steps in breaking the cycle of obesity in the family. INSET: WHERE TO GO FOR HELP.
- Bent Out of Shape. Williams, Daniel // Time International (South Pacific Edition);9/18/2006, Issue 37, p42
The article explores the prevalence of obesity in Australia in 2006. A survey found that the percentage of overweight or obese pupils increased. Scientist Michael Booth emphasized the obesity issue during his lecture in Sydney, New South Wales. Booth asserted the costs of this health...
- Factors associated with obesity in children. Kumar, Ashwin // International Journal of Human Sciences;Jul-Dec2012, Vol. 9 Issue 2, p805
Childhood obesity is a major public health crisis nationally and internationally. The prevalence of childhood obesity has increased over few years. It is caused by imbalance between calorie intake and calories utilized. One or more factors (genetic, behavioral, and environmental) cause obesity...
- Socio-financial mechanisms of a preventive strategy against pediatric obesity. ŢINCU, Iulia Florentina // Revista Romana de Economie;2015, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p194
Pediatric obesity is considered to be one of the most stressful health problems that in time leads to important adult obesity consequences. Although adequate prevention is required, many national strategies have failed in adopting a unitary attitude. Incorporating multilevel actions might be...