Predictors of overweight and obesity in five to seven-year-old children in Germany: results from cross-sectional studies
- CORRECTIONS. // Ethnicity & Disease;Autumn2011, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p521
A correction to the article "Maternal immigrant status and high birth weight: implications for childhood obesity," by Abdulrahman M. El-Sayed and Sandro Galea that was published in the 2011 issue is presented.
- Syndrome X in 8-y-old Australian children: stronger associations with current body fatness than with infant size or growth. Dwyer, T.; Blizzard, L.; Venn, A.; Stankovich, J.M.; Ponsonby, A.L.; Morley, R. // International Journal of Obesity & Related Metabolic Disorders;Oct2002, Vol. 26 Issue 10, p1301
OBJECTIVE: Syndrome X (clustering of insulin resistance, dyslipidaemia and hypertension) in adults with central obesity has been suggested to be a consequence of poor foetal development. We investigated clustering of syndrome X factors in a sample of 8-y-old Australian children, and whether the...
- Is low birth weight in the causal pathway of the association between maternal smoking in pregnancy and higher BMI in the offspring? Beyerlein, Andreas; R�ckinger, Simon; Toschke, Andr�; Schaffrath Rosario, Angelika; Kries, R�diger // European Journal of Epidemiology;May2011, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p413
number of cross-sectional and prospective studies suggested a priming effect of maternal smoking in pregnancy on offspring's obesity. It has been hypothesized that this association might be explained by low birth weight and subsequent catch-up growth in the causal pathway. We therefore examined...
- Prevalence of obesity in British children born in 1946 and 1958. Peckham, C.S.; Stark, O.; Simonite, V.; Wolff, O.H. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);4/16/1983, Vol. 286 Issue 6373, p1237
Compares the prevalence of obesity in children born in 1946 and 1958 in Great Britain. Risk of being obese later in childhood; Definition of overweight; Correlation between birth weight and relative weight on both sexes.
- Cigarette Smoking, Low Birth Weight, and Preterm Births in Low-Income African American Women. Moore, Mary Lou; Zaccaro, Daniel J // Journal of Perinatology;Apr2000, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p176
OBJECTIVE: To examine effects of light and heavy cigarette smoking on the incidence of low birth weight (LBW) and preterm births in African American women. DESIGN: A total of 1146 low-income African American women participated in a randomized trial to test the effectiveness of nursing...
- Smoking in pregnancy and development into early adulthood. Fogelman, K.R.; Manor, O. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);11/12/88, Vol. 297 Issue 6658, p1233
Examines the effect of smoking on the health of pregnant women. Impact of smoking on birth weight; Reaction between smoking during pregnancy and the survival of the baby; Increase of prenatal mortality caused by smoking.
- Trajectory of Adolescent Obesity: Exploring the Impact of Prenatal to Childhood Experiences. Huang, David; Lanza, H.; Anglin, M. // Journal of Child & Family Studies;Aug2014, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p1090
This study examined longitudinal associations of prenatal exposures as well as childhood familial experiences with obesity status from ages 10 to 18. Hierarchical generalized linear modeling was applied to examine 5,156 adolescents from the child sample of the 1979 National Longitudinal Survey...
- Overweight children risk type-1 diabetes. Baines, Emma // GP: General Practitioner;10/20/2003, p16
Children who are overweight have an increased risk of developing type-1 diabetes in childhood, according to Great Britain research. Researchers from University Hospital in Middlesbrough, England and Derriford Hospital in Plymouth, England looked at the relationship between age and weight in...
- Low and high birth weight as risk factors for obesity among 4 to 5-year-old Australian children: does gender matter? Oldroyd, John; Renzaho, Andre; Skouteris, Helen // European Journal of Pediatrics;Jul2011, Vol. 170 Issue 7, p899
Studies testing whether birth weight and childhood obesity differ by gender are lacking. We aimed to describe the relationship between birth weight and childhood overweight/obesity and investigate the influence that gender has on this relationship among 4 to 5-year-old children. We performed a...