Social correlates of cigarette smoking among Icelandic adolescents: a population-based cross-sectional study
- Coming out, lighting up. Jacobs, Ethan // Bay Windows;11/4/2004, Vol. 22 Issue 47, p3
Presents the results of a study on the rate of GLBT youth smoking in the U.S. conducted by the Centers for Disease Control. Statistics on health-related behaviors of students based on the data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health; Factors that influenced the GLBT youth to...
- Appraisal of anti-smoking advertising by youth at risk for regular smoking: a comparative study in the United States, Australia, and Britain. Wakefield, M.; Durrant, R.; Terry-McElrath, Y.; Ruel, E.; Balch, Gl.; Anderson, S.; Szczypka, G.; Emery, S.; Flay, B. // Tobacco Control;Sep2003 Supplement 2, Vol. 12, pii82
Objective: To compare the similarity in how youth in the United States, Australia, and Britain appraise anti-smoking advertisements with different characteristics. Design: Each participant viewed and evaluated a set of 10 anti-smoking adverts (from an overall total of 50 adverts) in a controlled...
- Canada 'behind eight ball' in fighting youth smoking. Sibbald, Barbara // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;5/15/2001, Vol. 164 Issue 10, p1479
Focuses on the need to prevent teen smoking in Canada. Why Canada is lagging behind other countries in efforts to prevent teen smoking; Antitobacco initiatives in Canada, with goals to reduce proportion of people who smoke and cigarette sales; Canadian Paediatric Society which is urging...
- Negative Press Influences Youth Smoking. // Pulmonary Reviews;Sep2007, Vol. 12 Issue 9, p37
The article discusses research being done on the effects of a newspaper editorial coverage on youth smoking in the U.S. Matthew Farrelly and colleagues evaluated the relationship between the newspaper overage of the Florida Tobacco Control Program's health promotion campaign with declines in...
- Widening the aim of health promotion to include the most disadvantaged: vulnerable adolescents and the social determinants of health. Mohajer, Nicole; Earnest, Jaya // Health Education Research;Jun2010, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p387
Growing numbers of adolescents are marginalized by social factors beyond their control, leading to poor health outcomes for their families and future generations. Although the role of the social determinants of health has been recognized for many years, there is a gap in our knowledge about the...
- The TEST. // Know Your World Extra;11/29/2002, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p8
Presents a play on teenage smoking.
- Smoking Stats. // Scholastic Choices;Nov2010, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p3
The article presents statistics on the awareness of American teenagers about the negative health effects of smoking.
- Effective smoking prevention among youth essential to successful tobacco control. Prokhorov, Alexander V. // Journal of Primary Health Care;Sep2014, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p180
The author discusses the adverse health effects of cigarette smoking among youths, as well as the efforts to prevent smoking to prevent such health concerns, particularly in New Zealand, as of September 2014. He presents the report by the U.S. Surgeon General on the adverse effects of smoking,...
- Danger: Teens at Work. // Scholastic Action;5/9/2003, Vol. 26 Issue 14, p6
Focuses on the health risks faced by teen workers in the U.S.