The body politic: the relationship between stigma and obesity-associated disease
- Weighty issues. MATHAI, DR GITA // Telegraph (Calcutta, India);2/9/2015, p9
The article offers the author's view on maintaining proper body mass index (BMI) and the risk of obesity in India.
- The Authors Reply:. Matsubara, Takeshi; Ogawa, Osamu; Yanagita, Motoko // Kidney International;Dec2013, Vol. 84 Issue 6, p1287
A response from the author of the article "Physical finding of nutcracker phenomenon" is presented.
- The frequency of neoplastic colon lesions in obese patients. Beata Mrozikiewicz-Rakowska; Krasnodebski, Przemystaw; Nehring, Piotr; Stelmasiak, Pawet; Karnafel, Waldemar // Gastroenterologia Polska / Gastroenterology;2010, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p36
Introduction: The aim of the study was to assess the incidence of neoplastic lesions in obese patients. The relationship between the incidence of neoplastic lesions and anthropometric factors was evaluated. Material and methods: Colonoscopy was performed in 57 obese patients (study group, body...
- Obesity. Meyer, Brenda // Lake Country Journal;Sep/Oct2009, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p50
The article offers information on the risks related to obesity in the U.S. Obesity is a condition with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more, which is calculated from the person's weight and height. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the rate of obesity levels in the country is...
- Obesity and consequent health risks: is prevention realistic and achievable? Thompson, Janice L. // Archives of Disease in Childhood;Sep2008, Vol. 93 Issue 9, p722
The article presents a commentary on obesity and consequent health risks. The author questions if the risks' prevention is realistic and achievable. According to the author, due to severe health consequences of obesity, there is a need for an in-depth knowledge of which determinants to change to...
- Obesity risk factors in a representative group of Polish prepubertal children. Januszek-Trzciąkowska, Aleksandra; Małecka-Tendera, Ewa; Klimek, Katarzyna; Matusik, Paweł // Archives of Medical Science;Oct2014, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p880
Introduction: The study aim was to evaluate risk factors of obesity in Polish children aged 7 to 9 years. Material and methods: A representative group of 2571 children (1268 girls and 1303 boys) was randomly selected according to the European Childhood Obesity Group protocol. Weight and height...
- Antibiotics may lead to weight problems. // Clinical Advisor;Oct2012, Vol. 15 Issue 10, p12
The article discusses the result of a population-based study involving 11,532 children born in Great Britain which unveils that administering antibiotics to infants younger than 6 months may lead to overweight problems.
- A need to reconsider the definition of 'healthy participants' in epidemiological studies and clinical trials. Farhat, G // European Journal of Clinical Nutrition;Jun2014, Vol. 68 Issue 6, p724
In this article, the author reflects on the body mass index (BMI)-based definitions of the overweight and obesity. Topics discussed include role of adipose tissue in secretion of inflammatory factors including adipokines and cytokines, increased risk of diabetes and heart diseases due to obesity...
- BMI a Substantial Contributor to Rising Prevelance of Diabetes. // Chain Drug Review;9/29/2014, Vol. 36 Issue 15, p74
The article reports on a study regarding the influence of body mass index (BMI) in the prevalence of obesity and diabetes.