Neighbourhood perceptions of physical activity: a qualitative study
- The Chairman's Curse: Lethal Sitting. Levine, James A. // Mayo Clinic Proceedings;Aug2014, Vol. 89 Issue 8, p1030
The article discusses papers published within the issue, including one on the link between low physical fitness and sedentariness, and another on predicting cardiometabolic risk by sedentariness.
- Health and fitness of young people: what is the role of sport? // British Journal of Sports Medicine;Sep2011, Vol. 45 Issue 11, p837
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses various reports published within the issue including one on the levels of fitness and physical activity in young people, another about the health risk of physical inactivity, and one about school-based interventions.
- The new science: 'Inactivity Physiology'. // Active Living;Jul2011, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p27
The article focuses on the inactivity physiology or the science of sedentary behavior as discussed by Len Kravitz during the 15th annual Health & Fitness Summit hosted by the American College of Sports Medicine held in Anaheim, California.
- Controlled and Free-Living Evaluation of Objective Measures of Sedentary and Active Behaviors. Hart, Teresa L.; McClain, James J.; Tudor-Locke, Catrine // Journal of Physical Activity & Health;Aug2011, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p848
Background: Emerging interest in the health impacts of sedentary behaviors has driven the exploration of objective instrumentation capable of capturing these behaviors. The purpose was to compare (under laboratory conditions) outputs from ActiGraph (AG), Intelligent Device for Energy Expenditure...
- Physical inactivity and associated factors in older adults in South Africa. Peltzer, Karl; Phaswana-Mafuya, Nancy // African Journal for Physical, Health Education, Recreation & Dan;Sep2012, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p447
Physical inactivity is associated with increased morbidity and mortality and is a key component of healthy aging. There is little research on physical activity and associated factors among older adults in Africa. Therefore, the study aims to investigate the prevalence and associated factors of...
- Influence of a sedentary lifestyle on self-reported mental health status among community-dwelling older adults with depression: Implications for secondary prevention efforts. Dickerson, Justin B.; Smith, Matthew Lee; Ory, Marcia G. // Ageing Research;2011, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p31
The relationship between sedentary behavior and mental health is documented in the primary prevention literature in the context of mental illnesses such as depression. However, these relationships have not been studied to the same extent for secondary prevention efforts, especially among at risk...
- Efectos de un programa de ejercicios para evaluar las capacidades funcionales y el balance de un grupo de adultos mayores independientes sedentarios que viven en la comunidad. Navarro, Mauricio Lorca; Leiva, Marcela Lepe; Narváez, Víctor Patricio Díaz; Orellana, Esperanza Araya // Salud Uninorte;jul-dic2011, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p185
Objective: To determine the effect on functional capabilities in a group of independent sedentary non-institutionalized elderly adults of an exercise program of flexibility and muscle strength carried out by trained adults and supervised by a physical therapist. Methodology: The research had an...
- Adiposity and physical activity among children in countries at different stages of the physical activity transition: Canada, Mexico and Kenya. ONYWERA, V. O.; HÉROUX, M.; JÁUREGUI ULLOA, E.; ADAMO, K. B.; LÓPEZ TAYLOR, J.; JANSSEN, I.; TREMBLAY, MARK S. // African Journal for Physical, Health Education, Recreation & Dan;Mar2013, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p132
Physical inactivity is a risk factor for childhood overweight and obesity, and is associated with habitual lifestyle behaviours that are in rapid transition in many countries. Data comparing the weight status and physical activity among children in countries at different stages of the physical...
- Association Between Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Accelerometer-Derived Physical Activity and Sedentary Time in the General Population. Kulinski, Jacquelyn P.; Khera, Amit; Ayers, Colby R.; Das, Sandeep R.; de Lemos, James A.; Blair, Steven N.; Berry, Jarett D. // Mayo Clinic Proceedings;Aug2014, Vol. 89 Issue 8, p1063
Objective To determine the association between cardiorespiratory fitness and sedentary behavior, independent of exercise activity. Patients and Methods We included 2223 participants (aged 12-49 years; 1053 females [47%]) without known heart disease who had both cardiovascular fitness testing and...