Lack of adequate sun protection for children with oculocutaneous albinism in South Africa
- Is it Possible to Get a Healthy Tan? Eaglesham, Barbara // Odyssey;May2005, Vol. 14 Issue 5, p24
Provides information on sun tanning and the medical myths related to the subject. INSETS: Steps to a Successful Self-Tan;Big hopes for a Tiny Molecule.
- Sun sense in the west. // Men's Health;Oct94, Vol. 9 Issue 8, p116
Cites research which suggests that during daylight saving time or in the western part of a time zone, one can still get sunburned late in the afternoon. Why we can still be exosed to the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun after the usual 10 A.M. to 3 P.M. warning zone.
- Basal Cell Carcinoma: Experience in a Teaching Hospital, Calabar-South Nigeria. Asuquo, Maurice; Otei, Otei; Nwagbara, Victor; Ebughe, Godwin; Omotoso, Joshua // International Journal of Clinical Medicine;May2011, Vol. 2 Issue 2, p93
Background: Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is the commonest malignancy among Caucasians in Europe, North America, and Australia. This study attempted to identify the prevalence, risk factors, and outcome of management of this problem in our region. Methods: All the patients with histologic diagnosis...
- suntan. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p2239
A definition of the term "suntan," which refers to skin darkening due to sun exposure, is presented.
- Here comes the sun. Artunian, Judy // Current Health 2;Apr95, Vol. 21 Issue 8, p26
Focuses on the harmful effects of the sun's rays. Components and effect of the sun's ultraviolet rays; People at risk; Protection against sun damage; Facts and fallacies on sunscreen protection. INSET: Shortcut to a tan or skin damage?..
- The taming of the tan. Prager, Emily // Harper's Bazaar;May96, Issue 3414, p126
Discusses the evolution of attitudes about tanning from the 1920s through the 1990s. Birth of the concept of sun protection during World War II; Development of Coppertone Suntan Cream in 1944 by Benjamin Green; Re-examination of sun tan offerings by skin care companies in the late 1980s and...
- RAYS. Adams, Jacqueline // Science World;2/7/2005, Vol. 61 Issue 9/10, p22
Provides information on a California law that bans children under 14 years old from indoor tanning and cites risks associated with such tanning.
- Protective skin smarts for safe sun exposure. Lindsey, Sandra // Total Health;Jun95, Vol. 17 Issue 3, p36
Gives advice concerning skin and eye protection from excessive exposure to the sun. Sunburn through one's clothing; Recommended sunglasses; Acquisition of semipermanent brown spots; Vulnerability of eyes to sun damage; Moisture in lips.
- Quantum Sufficit. Graham, Lisa // American Family Physician;12/1/2005, Vol. 72 Issue 11, p2169
Presents updates related to medicine and medical practice as of December 2005. Research which suspects that many people in the U.S. are developing an addiction for sun tanning; Research in Great Britain which suggest that women who experience high levels of stress daily could be less likely to...