Air pollution in Boston bars before and after a smoking ban
- Eliminating Smoking in Bars, Restaurants, and Gaming Clubs in California: BREATH, The California Smoke-Free Bar Program. Kiser, Dian; Boschert, Theresa // Journal of Public Health Policy;2001, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p81
On January 1, 1998, California became the first state in the country to prohibit indoor smoking in nightspots, bars, bar/restaurant combinations, bingo parlors, cardrooms, and casinos on a statewide basis. This paper describes the activities which achieved this result, based on a program with...
- Not Out There: Why Outdoor Smoking Bans Finally Pass Constitutional Muster. Schueler, Collin // Quinnipiac Health Law Journal;2011/2012, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p127
The article discusses the implications of constitutional laws regarding the banning of smoking outdoors. It also discusses about the public health effects of indoor and outdoor smoking. It states that second hand smoking results in serious health risks including low birth weight of unborn...
- Strength of smoke-free air laws and indoor air quality. Kiyoung Lee; Hahn, Ellen J.; Robertson, Heather E.; Seongjik Lee; Vogel, Suzann L.; Travers, Mark J. // Nicotine & Tobacco Research;Apr2009, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p381
Introduction:: Smoke-free air laws have been implemented in many Kentucky communities to protect the public from the harmful effects of secondhand smoke exposure. The impact of different strengths of smoke-free air laws on indoor air quality was assessed.
- Application of a rating system to state clean indoor air laws (USA). Chriqui, J. F.; Frosh, M.; Brownson, R. C.; Shelton, D. M.; Sciandra, R. C.; Hobart, R.; Fisher, P. H.; Arculli, Rel; Alciati, M. H. // Tobacco Control;Mar2002, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p26
Objective: To develop and implement a system for rating state clean indoor air Jaws. Design: The public health interest of state clean indoor air laws is to limit non-smoker exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (ETS). Current estimates of health risks and methods available for con- trolling...
- On the Record. Gooch, Heather // Pest Control;Mar2004, Vol. 72 Issue 3, p5
Editorial. Comments on the enactment of the Clean Air Indoor Act, which bans smoking in all public areas in New York. Application of the ban to vehicles registered in the state while being driven in the state; Benefits of the ban; Resolution to kick the habit of smoking.
- Breath of fresh air. Geens, Andrew // Nursing Standard;1/23/2008, Vol. 22 Issue 20, p22
Although smoking was banned in public places last July, there are exemptions and ventilation is the key to controlling environmental tobacco smoke.
- Illinois Smoke Free Act 2007: A Case Study Analysis of Adoption and Implementation. Hays, Scott P.; Mulhall, Peter F. // Health Education Monograph Series;2010, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p5
No abstract available.
- No Butts About It: Public Smoking Ends in Vermont. Carney, Jan K.; Hamrell, Marjorie C.; Wargo, William E. // American Journal of Public Health;May97, Vol. 87 Issue 5, p860
The article reports on the ban against public smoking in Vermont. Laws banning smoking in public places are important to minimize exposure to environmental tobacco smoke. They strengthen changing societal norms around smoking. The Vermont Legislature passed the Vermont Clean Indoor Air Act in...
- UK Smoke-Free Legislation: Changes in PM2.5 Concentrations in Bars in Scotland, England, and Wales. Semple, Sean; van Tongeren, Martie; Galea, Karen S.; MacCalman, Laura; Gee, Ivan; Parry, Odette; Naji, Audrey; Ayres, Jon G. // Annals of Occupational Hygiene;Apr2010, Vol. 54 Issue 3, p272
Objective: Evaluate the effect of smoke-free legislation on fine particulate [particulate matter <2.5 Î¼m in diameter (PM2.5)] air pollution levels in bars in Scotland, England, and Wales.