Is Surrogate Motherhood Moral?
- Buying and selling babies. Novak, Michael // Commonweal;7/17/87, Vol. 114 Issue 13, p406
Explains contract with the mother of Baby M which was carried through by a series of deceptions. Can any contract to buy or to sell a human being be valid? Author believes in limited markets, and gives reasons.
- Outlaw surrogate mothering. // Christianity Today;4/3/87, Vol. 31 Issue 6, p14
Editorial. The practice of surrogate mothering should be outlawed, not merely regulated. Surrogate mothers may create a new class of breeder women and further confuse the family unit. Slavery laws; Scriptural teaching; Child's identity confusion; Baby M case decision.
- Wombs shouldn't be for rent. Meehan, M. // U.S. Catholic;Sep87, Vol. 52 Issue 9, p16
Discusses surrogate motherhood; Its history; Meaning; Reasons why Americans should outlaw surrogacy. Alternatives for infertile couples who want children. Questions and comments from readers.
- The ethics of surrogacy: Women's reproductive labour. van Niekerk, Anton; van Zyl, Liezl // Journal of Medical Ethics;Dec95, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p345
Focuses on the moral aspects of surrogate motherhood from the perspective of the surrogate mother herself. Focus on the claim that surrogate motherhood is similar to prostitution.
- Wombs for rent. Savage, Ellena // Eureka Street;9/1/2014, Vol. 24 Issue 17, p50
The article offers the author's insights on the issues surrounding surrogacy, and the culture of motherhood. The author states that most women in Australia have control over their fertility and the existence of the legal and social ability to plan their families in a culture. She mentions that...
- The body enclosed. Kimbrell, Andrew // Ecologist;
Warns against the commodification of the human body. Blood as the first commercialized body part; Market for body organs; Harvesting the dead; Fetuses for sale; Market for human reproductive material; Wombs for sale; Eugenics; Patenting human tissue; Stopping the commercialization of the body. ...
- The Ethics of Commercial Surrogate Mothering: A Response to Casey Humbyrd. Omonzejele, Peter F. // Human Reproduction & Genetic Ethics;2011, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p110
This article critically examines the argument advanced by Casey Humbyrd in support of international commercial surrogate mothering. It finds her arguments unconvincing especially at the point of implementation. This is because the author was unable to demonstrate how regulation and her notion of...
- Surprising allies battle for-profit surrogacy. LaPlante, Joseph R. // Our Sunday Visitor;6/15/2014, Vol. 103 Issue 7, p6
No abstract available.
- Genetic and Gestational Surrogacy: an Overview. MONDAL, Sambhu Charan; VERMA, Anuradha; GUPTA, Shiv Kumar; KUMAR, Babita // Walailak Journal of Science & Technology;Sep2012, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p189
Surrogacy is a method in which a woman bears a child for another woman. The indications for treatment include absent uterus, recurrent miscarriage, and repeated failure of in vitro fertilization (IVF) and certain medical conditions. It also defines the process in which a woman gestates a fetus,...