Medical colleges leave elder abuse off curriculum
- Detecting and managing elder abuse: Challenges in primary care. Krueger, Paul; Patterson, Christopher // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;10/15/97, Vol. 157 Issue 8, p1095
Presents a study to determine physicians' perceptions of strategies in the detection and management of abused elderly people. Design, setting, and participants; Outcome measures and results; Conclusion, and plans for an algorithm as the next phase in this work.
- PRODUCT & SERVICE. // Credit Union Journal;7/21/2003, Vol. 7 Issue 29, p50
Reports on the collaborative efforts of several credit unions, banks and the Santa Clara County Adult Protection Services to attack elder abuse scams in California. Consideration of possible savings fraud; Intervention in cases senior citizen exploitation; Assessment of the mortality rates of...
- Communities aren't helpless: Outreach to older alcoholics works. Shipman, A. // Aging;1990, Issue 361, p18
Looks at Geriatric Substance Abuse Programs in two Massachusetts communities. The goals of the program; How attitudes toward the elderly and alcoholism were addressed; The intervention process.
- Some seniors take a licking. Sillars, Les // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;8/7/95, Vol. 22 Issue 34, p34
Criticizes the lack of concrete results of `Synergy II', a government-funded study on seniors abuse. Calgary's Kerby Center; Canada Department of Health; Statistics on seniors abuse; Social worker Jinny Boyack; Study's need to develop training programs for workers and volunteers; Proposal of...
- Doctors see it, but are uncertain about how to respond. Rose, Joan R. // Medical Economics;12/08/97, Vol. 74 Issue 24, p33
Argues that the most effective way for elderly abused persons to receive the necessary attention is to give physicians additional training. How elder abuse is treated in the United States; Details of a study on elder abuse; How elder abuse was described by specialists.
- Survey of state public health departments on procedures for reporting elder abuse. Ehrlich, P.; Anetzberger, G. // Public Health Reports;Mar/Apr91, Vol. 106 Issue 2, p151
Presents results of a study of state health departments' awareness of and procedures for reporting elder abuse. Study methods; Awareness of state laws; Written protocols and training programs; Reporting difficulties; Possible reasons for an appearance of inactivity on the part of state health...
- An intervention program for dentists to detect elder abuse and neglect. Jorgensen, Jay E. // Public Health Reports;Mar/Apr93, Vol. 108 Issue 2, p171
Details a proposal for an intervention program for dentists to detect elder abuse and neglect. Varying definitions of elder abuse; Types of abuse; Three groups of dentists participating; Budget; More.
- What triggers patient abuse? // USA Today Magazine;Apr89, Vol. 117 Issue 2527, p6
Reports on results of a study indicating the high amount of patient abuse in nursing homes. Key factors contributing to abuse.
- Preventing elder abuse. Sabato, Ann E. // BusinessWest;Jul93, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p22
Discusses the issue of elder abuse, exploitation and neglect which affect all families. Provision of in-home services instead of institutional care due to lack of financial resources; Emotional and physical abuse due to stress of providing for an elder; Increase in incidence of elder abuse,...