Universities in stand-off with unions over pay
- University staff to strike over pensions. // Education (14637073);3/11/2011, Issue 424, p5
The article announces a plan by Great Britain's University and College Union (UCU), a labor union for university staff members, to strike over proposed plans by the British government to reduce pension funding. It overviews strike actions planned in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland...
- News & analysis. // People Management;07/25/96, Vol. 2 Issue 15, p6
Reports that tube drivers paralysed the Underground network in Great Britain during a strike by the Aslef and RMT unions. Reason for the strike; Number of commuters stranded during the strike.
- Workers strike British plants for shorter week. // Aviation Week & Space Technology;11/6/1989, Vol. 131 Issue 19, p31
Discusses a strike that began in the United Kingdom on October 30, with members of engineering unions at key British Aerospace and Rolls-Royce plants seeking a shorter work week.
- Trades Union Congress to meet. // Newsweek;9/10/1984, Vol. 104 Issue 10, p42
British workers are growing restive over the political nature of strikes--and instead of turning on the government, many are fighting their own union leaders. The strikes and politics issue is sure to come to a head this week when the 10 million-member Trades Union Congress, the umbrella...
- Untitled. // New Statesman & Society;
Presents an excerpt from an article published in the February 8, 1919 issue of `New Statesman & Society,' which commented on the postwar strike wave in Great Britain. War's encouragement of the idea of getting one's wishes by force; Search for the perfect balance between workers' civil rights...
- Strike out. // Professional Engineering;04/16/97, Vol. 10 Issue 7, p6
Points out the decline in the number of strikes in Great Britain. Data from the Paris, France-based Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.
- Newsdesk. // Management Services;Mar1977, Vol. 21 Issue 3, p40
Reports on the strike records in Great Britain. Number of working days lost; Time duration of the strikes; Percentage of stoppages in engineering.
- The Burston Strike School. Howkins, Alun // History Today;Nov97, Vol. 47 Issue 11, p62
Features the Burston Strike School of 1917, a museum recalling the strike in Great Britain's history. History of schools foundation stones; Effect of strike on founding of the school.
- Trade strikes disrupt U.K. Goddard, Sarah // Business Insurance;8/12/96, Vol. 30 Issue 33, p23
Reports on the impact of trade unions strikes in businesses and economy in Great Britain. Estimated economic costs of labor walkouts; One-day world stoppage of the members of Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers & Firemen (ASLEF) working at London Underground Ltd.; London insurance...