Incidence and mortality of hip fracture among the elderly population in South Korea: a population-based study using the National Health Insurance claims data
- Commentary: Older people's perspectives on life after hip fractures. Ameratunga, Shanthi N.; Brown, Paul M. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);02/05/2000, Vol. 320 Issue 7231, p346
Comments on results of a survey in which 80 percent of old people polled said they would rather die then suffer a hip fracture. Concerns physicians have regarding this high percentage of people.
- Long-term outcome of hip fracture in elderly persons. // American Family Physician;3/1/1995, Vol. 51 Issue 4, p927
Highlights the study conducted by Marottoli et al, published in the November 1994 issue of the `American Journal of Public Health.' Risk factors for adverse events in old persons with hip fracture; Data for the occurrence of hip fracture, fracture site, baseline mental status, concomitant...
- Is physical activity protective against hip fracture in frail older people? Norton, Robyn; Galgali, Geetha; Campbell, A. John; Reid, Ian R.; Robinson, Elizabeth; Butler, Meg; Gray, Harley // Age & Ageing;May2001, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p262
Background: there is limited evidence of a protective effect of physical activity in preventing hip fractures among older people living in institutions and in those aged 80 or over. Objective: to examine the relationship between physical activity and risk of hip fracture in frail older people....
- Hip fractures among the elderly in a Swedish urban setting: Different perspectives on the significance of country of birth. Furugren, Lena; Laflamme, Lucie // Scandinavian Journal of Public Health;Jan2007, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p11
Objectives: The study investigates the significance of country of birth for hip fractures among the elderly in a Swedish urban setting. Design: Cross-sectional register-based study. Methods: All people aged 65 or above hospitalized because of hip fracture in Stockholm County over the years...
- Prediction of rehabilitation after hip fracture. Parker, Martyn J.; Palmer, Christopher R. // Age & Ageing;Mar1995, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p96
Aims to identify predictors of return to independence following a hip fracture. Details of patients and methods; Results and discussion.
- NEWS BRIEFS. // Focus on Healthy Aging;May2013, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p2
The article offers news briefs related to healthy aging such as the use of social networking website Facebook can help in boosting the cognitive function of older adults, and the high risk of having hip fracture due sleeping pills.
- Hip Protectors Help Prevent Fracture. Edwards, Julie // Access;Apr2001, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p10
Focuses on preventive measure for hip fractures in the elderly. Usage of hip protectors; Description of the hip protector; Opinion of doctor Laurence Rubenstein on the efficacy of hip protectors.
- Association between Frailty, Osteoporosis, Falls and Hip Fractures among Community-Dwelling People Aged 50 Years and Older in Taiwan: Results from I-Lan Longitudinal Aging Study. Liu, Li-Kuo; Lee, Wei-Ju; Chen, Liang-Yu; Hwang, An-Chun; Lin, Ming-Hsien; Peng, Li-Ning; Chen, Liang-Kung // PLoS ONE;9/8/2015, Vol. 10 Issue 9, p1
Background: Association of frailty with adverse clinical outcomes has been reported in Western countries, but data from the Asian population are scarce. This study aimed to evaluate the epidemiology of frailty among community-dwelling middle-aged and elderly population and to explore its...
- Failure to Thrive Among Older Persons with Hip Fracture. // American Family Physician;9/15/1996, Vol. 54 Issue 4, p1350
Presents the results of a study conducted to evaluate the risk of failure to thrive in older patients with hip fracture. Prefracture functional and health status; Decline of patients' functional ability; Effect of high glucose levels, carbon dioxide levels, liver and renal function on...