Efficacy and cost-effectiveness of nutritional intervention in elderly after hip fracture: design of a randomized controlled trial
- Cost-effectiveness of tailored print
communication, telephone motivational
interviewing, and a combination of the two:
results of an economic evaluation alongside the
Vitalum randomized controlled trial. van Keulen, Hilde M.; Bosmans, Judith E.; van Tulder, Maurits W.; Severens, Johan L.; de Vries, Hein; Brug, Johannes; Mesters, Ilse // International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition & Physical Activit;2010, Vol. 7, p64
Background: The aim of the present study was to evaluate the cost-effectiveness of tailored print communication (TPC), telephone motivational interviewing (TMI), a combination of the two, and no intervention on two outcomes in adults aged 45 to 70, half of them having hypertension: increasing...
- Effects of case management in community aged care on client and carer outcomes: a systematic review of randomized trials and comparative observational studies. Chuanmei You, Emily; Dunt, David; Doyle, Colleen; Hsueh, Hsueh // BMC Health Services Research;2012, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p395
Background: Case management has been applied in community aged care to meet frail older people's holistic needs and promote cost-effectiveness. This systematic review aims to evaluate the effects of case management in community aged care on client and carer outcomes. Methods: We searched Web of...
- Greater Food Safety Precautions Needed by the Elderly--But What's "Old"? // Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter;Oct2002, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p6
Presents information on certain foods which the elderly are advised to avoid, to avoid foodborne bacteria. INSET: Foods to Avoid When You Reach Old Age (whenever that is).
- Key nutrients for older adults. // Consumer Reports on Health;Jun2000, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p7
Informs on the key nutrients necessary to avoid deficiencies in older people.
- A Prospective, Randomized Trial Comparing the Limited Contact Dynamic Compression Plate with the Point Contact Fixator for Forearm Fractures. Leung, Frankie; Chow, Shew-Ping // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;Dec2003, Vol. 85-A Issue 12, p2343
The most effective type of plate fixation for diaphyseal forearm fractures has not been defined. We performed a prospective, randomized trial in which the limited contact dynamic compression plate (LC-DCP) was compared with the Point Contact Fixator (PC-Fix) for the treatment of forearm...
- Change in Fruit and Vegetable Intake Over 24 Months in Older Adults: Results of the SENIOR Project Intervention. Greene, Geoffrey W.; Fey-Yensan, Nancy; Padula, Cynthia; Rossi, Susan R.; Rossi, Joseph S.; Clark, Phillip G. // Gerontologist;Jun2008, Vol. 48 Issue 3, p378
Purpose: We test the efficacy of an intervention based on the transtheoretical model to increase the intake of fruits and vegetables and to describe differences in psychosocial variables based on the achievement of the 5 A Day Program target. Design and Methods: This study is a randomized...
- Vitamin D & Bones. // Nutrition Action Health Letter;Jun2009, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p11
The article reports that vitamin D can help prevent hip or other bone fractures, according to the results of 12 trials. People aged 65 or older served as subjects in these trials. Results showed that the risk of broken bones declined by 20% among those who received higher levels of vitamin D....
- New Food Guide Pyramid for Persons over Seventy. // Ageing International;Summer99, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p6
Reports that many ailments that afflict older people in North America are directly caused or indirectly worsened by poor nutrition. Health problems that are influenced by the foods consumed, or not consumed; Information on The Food Guide Pyramid devised by the United States (U.S.) Department of...
- Editors Note. Salih, Osama Awad // Ahfad Journal;Dec2007, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p1
An introduction to articles published within the issue is presented, including one on the process of development of the first nutrition policy for Sudan and another one on the nutritional status and health risks factors of older persons living in different settings in Sudan.