The social context of smoking: A qualitative study comparing smokers of high versus low socioeconomic position
- Socioeconomic and drug use determinants of smoking status in an urban adult population of Black African descent. Mwenifumbo, Jill C.; Sellers, Edward M.; Tyndale, Rachel F. // Nicotine & Tobacco Research;Aug2008, Vol. 10 Issue 8, p1319
We examined the influence of socioeconomics and drug use on current smokers (N = 137) and nonsmokers (N = 143) from an urban adult population of Black African descent. Median participant age was 33 years (range = 20-59). Smokers consumed a median of eight cigarettes/day (range = 0-35)....
- Socioeconomic predictors of smoking and smoking frequency in urban China: evidence of smoking as a social function. Zhenfeng Pan // Health Promotion International;Sep2004, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p309
A number of previous studies have documented the worsening smoking problems in China. This paper identifies several key socioeconomic variables associated with smoking among urban working adults and calls researchers' attention to the important function of cigarette smoking as a social...
- Stages of change of the readiness to quit smoking among a random sample of minority Arab -male smokers in Israel. Daoud, Nihaya; Hayek, Samah; Muhammad, Ahmad Sheikh; Abu-Saad, Kathleen; Osman, Amira; Thrasher, James F.; Kalter-Leibovici, Ofra // BMC Public Health;2015, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p672
No abstract available.
- Price sensitivity and smoking smuggled cigarettes. Jie-Min Lee; Sheng-Hung Chen; Hsin-Fan Chen; Huei-Yann Joann Jeng // European Journal of Public Health;Feb2009, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p23
Background: This study analysed the socio-economic factors that influence a smoker's decision to consume smuggled cigarettes when faced with the rising costs of legal cigarettes. We hope our findings will help public health authorities create policies that simultaneously discourage consumption...
- Small-Area Estimation and Prioritizing Communities for Tobacco Control Efforts in Masschusetts. Li, Wenjun; Land, Thomas; Zi Zhang; Keithly, Lois; Kelsey, Jennifer L. // American Journal of Public Health;Mar2009, Vol. 99 Issue 3, p470
Objectives. We developed a method to evaluate geographic and temporal variations in community-level risk factors and prevalence estimates, and used that method to identify communities in Massachusetts that should be considered high priority communities for smoking interventions. Methods. We...
- Contextual correlates of intensity of smoking in northeast India. Ladusingh, Laishram; Singh, Akansha // International Journal of Public Health;Mar2015, Vol. 60 Issue 3, p317
Objectives: This study assessed the significance of socio-demographic and contextual factors on the number of daily cigarette and bidi smoking in northeast India. Methods: This study is based on the data from the Global Adult Tobacco Survey-India (2009-2010). Community asset is measured as the...
- The South, the Nation, and Tobacco. Criffin, Larry J. // Southern Cultures;Summer2006, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p66
Features the trends in cigarette smoking in the U.S. in the 20th century. Decline in the number of cigarette smokers; Causes of the decline; Belief of people on the health effects of smoking.
- Mortality and smoking in Hong Kong: case-control study of all adult deaths in 1998. Lam, T H; Hedley, A J; Mak, K H; Peto, R // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/18/2001, Vol. 323 Issue 7309, p361
Conclusions: Among middle aged men the proportion of deaths caused by smoking is more than twice as big in Hong Kong now (33%) as in mainland China 10 years earlier. This supports predictions of a large increase in tobacco attributable mortality in China as a whole.
- Smokers quit quitting. // Pharmaceutical Representative;Dec2007, Vol. 37 Issue 12, p11
The article reports on the cigarette smoking issues in the U.S. A government report reveals the steady decline in the national smoking rate between 2004 and 2006. The 1964 rate of American smokers at 42% declined to 24.7% in 1997 and 20.9% in 2004, which became its nadir. The 2004 figure...