Repeal of the Pennsylvania motorcycle helmet law: reflections on the ethical and political dynamics of public health reform
- MOTORCYCLE HELMET LAWS: THE FACTS, WHAT CAN BE DONE TO JUMP-START HELMET USE, AND WAYS TO CAP DAMAGES. NEIMAN, MELISSA // Journal of Health Care Law & Policy;2008, Vol. 11 Issue 2, p215
The article discusses the provisions of motorcycle helmet laws, ways to promote helmet use and reducing damages in the U.S. It explores the Highway Safety Act (HSA) enacted by the Congress in 1966, the development of motorcycle enthusiasts groups to challenge such laws, the elimination of...
- NSW HELMET EXEMPTION. // Australian Motorcycle News;12/5/2012, Vol. 62 Issue 12, p10
The article reports on an official order in New South Wales which exempts motorcycle riders and cyclists with oversize heads not to wear helmets that meet Australian standards.
- Helmet Laws A Hot Topic -- Again. // RoadBike;Oct2012, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p18
The article informs that motorcycle helmet laws of the U.S. have prevented 37 percent of crash deaths among riders and 41 percent among passengers and are being followed in 19 states and the District of Columbia.
- KEITH CRAIN: Now I know they have all gone mad. Crain, Keith // Crain's Detroit Business;6/11/2007, Vol. 23 Issue 24, p8
The article presents the author's views on the repeal of motorcycle helmet laws in Michigan. The author informs that Michigan has had a mandatory helmet law for as long as he can remember, and it has served the motorcycle riders of this state well. When he first heard of the law's potential...
- Head games. Baraba, Sarah // Collinsville Herald;8/31/2011, Vol. 53 Issue 35, pA1
The article discusses the challenges in implementing helmet laws in Illinois. The Illinois state government and local governments have debated on implementing bills that oblige motorcycle riders to wear helmets to prevent accidents like the one on July 31, 2011, when 2 people died after their...
- The Price of Freedom: Expect car buyers to pay for the repeal of motorcycle helmet laws. Winter, Drew // WardsAuto Dealer Business;Aug2012, p32
The article presents information regarding the repeal of motorcycle helmet laws in the U.S. It states that the automakers must be concerned about the safety issues of customers in the U.S. It informs that the use of technologies like air bags, seat belts and warning devices has reduced traffic...
- Helmet Use Among Motorcyclists Who Died in Crashes and Economic Cost Savings Associated With State Motorcycle Helmet Laws -- United States, 2008-2010. Naumann, Rebecca B.; Shults, Ruth A. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;6/15/2012, Vol. 61 Issue 23, p425
The article explores the findings of an analysis of the 2008-2010 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) data from the Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) which showed the link between states' motorcycle helmet...
- Paternalism & Its Discontents. Jones, Marian Moser; Bayer, Ronald // American Journal of Public Health;Feb2007, Vol. 97 Issue 2, p208
The history of motorcycle helmet legislation in the United States reflects the extent to which concerns about individual liberties have shaped the public health debate. Despite overwhelming epidemiological evidence that motorcycle helmet laws reduce fatalities and serious injuries, only 20...
- Ding Dong? // Dealernews;Jul2001, Vol. 37 Issue 7, p10
Reports on the government policy requiring motorcyclists to wear helmets in Vietnam. Accounts on the shortage on the use of motorcycle helmets; Police enforcement on the rules regarding helmets; Update on traffic fatalities due to motorcycle accidents.