As State Cuts Budget, Alabama Schools Try to Fill in Gaps
- Cutbacks if necessary, but not necessarily cutbacks. Fraser, Paul // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;07/14/97, Vol. 24 Issue 31, p45
Discusses how according to Albertan school board chairman Caroline Martin the deficit will not necessarily mean teacher cutbacks for Lethbridge public schools for the 1998-99 school year. How the board is not yet sure what the deficit will be; Teachers' union demands.
- Teacher Layoff Warning. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;1/25/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32305, p27
This article reports that according to Arne Duncan, chief executive officer of Chicago Public Schools, Illinois, the school district faces a $328 million deficit in its budget for 2007. And this deficit could lead to teacher layoffs without more help from the state. The deficit is higher in...
- MIDWEST Bond-Watch. Shields, Yvette; Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/2/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31606, p35
Presents information regarding various developments in securities industry in the U.S. as of April 2, 2003. Closure of public schools in Detroit by the end of 2003 due to budget deficit; Removal of the Detroit Medical Center from rating watch positive by Fitch Ratings; Approval of a sic-cent...
- School districts look for funding in upcoming legislative session. Dillard, Betty // Fort Worth Business Press;1/3/2011, Vol. 23 Issue 1, p15
The article focuses on the possible budget cuts for the public education sector of Texas in line with the budget shortfall in the state. It relates that the public education budget of more than 35 billion U.S. dollars may be slashed by three to five billion U.S. dollars. Funding sources for...
- More CPS Layoffs and Budget Cuts. Bayliss, Deborah // Chicago Citizen - Hyde Park Edition;7/31/2013, Vol. 24 Issue 36, p1
The article offers information related to a second round of teacher and staff cuts by Chicago Public Schools (CPS) where more than 2,000 employees, including more than 1,000 teachers will lose their jobs due to the one billion budget deficit experiencing by the CPS as of July 31, 2013.
- class dismissed. Goodman, David // Mother Jones;May/Jun2004, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p40
Analyzes the impact of budget cuts, federal underfunding and income tax increase on education in Oregon. Status of education at Hillsboro High School in Portland; Effect of the funding crises on public schools; Background on Citizens for a Sound Economy, an anti-tax group that led the fight...
- Chicago, Illinois. Greenhut, Steven // Reason;Nov2013, Vol. 45 Issue 6, p46
The article presents information on Chicago, Illinois. It mentions various financial and social reports prepared on this city. The reports talk about the increasing crime rate, and financial distress in Chicago. The total public school budget deficit of Chicago amounts to one billion dollar, and...
- Deficits and Human Costs. // America;4/17/1982, Vol. 146 Issue 15, p292
The author comments on the reported 1983 U.S. budget deficit of as high as $124 billion, and students of public schools in New York possibly being obliged to repeat seventh grade several times. The author mentions the plan of U.S. President Ronald Reagan to address this deficit, which will...
- Philadelphia to Shutter 23 Public Schools. MAXWELL, LESLIA // Education Week;3/13/2013, Vol. 32 Issue 24, p4
The article discusses a 2013 vote by Pennsylvania's Philadelphia School Reform Commission to close 23 public schools due to forecasted budget deficits, with comments about public opposition which led to the arrests of several people including Randi Weingarten of the American Federation of Teachers.