S&P: Faced With Sluggish Economies, States Look to Trim the Fat
- The State They're In. Resnick, Amy B. // Financial Planning;Apr2003, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p30
Presents a chart on the U.S. state budget conditions as of April 2003.
- Seasons of Spending. Zelio, Judy // State Legislatures;Jul/Aug99, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p68
Provides information on United States state budget. Components of state budget; Most notable change in spending priorities; Impact of computers on state budgets.
- Show me the money. Moyers, Gary // State Government News;Aug2002, Vol. 45 Issue 7, p11
Discusses the domination of budget-focused legislation passed by state legislatures in the U.S. in 2002. Total budget shortfalls as of June 2002; Factors which caused the budget problem of the states; Action taken by various states to offset budget shortfalls.
- OKLAHOMA: Lawmakers Come Up Empty. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;6/6/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32396, p39
The article reports that the Oklahoma Legislature has ended its 2006 regular session without establishing a budget agreement for the 2007 fiscal year. According to Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry, the failure of the lawmakers to establish a budget agreement will ensure a special session in June...
- Governor's budget is a mess. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;1/21/2005, Issue 323351, p22
Alleges that the multi-billion state budget of California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger does not address the main flow in the process. Reason for this allegation; Alleged budget maneuvers by Schwarzenegger; Contemplation that next year's state budget have to assume a multi-billion deficit.
- Budgets are bruised, but still strong. // State Government News;Oct2003, Vol. 46 Issue 9, p24
Presents information on state environmental spending in the U.S. as of October 2003. State budgets for environmental and natural resource spending in 2003; Federal portion of total state spending on the environment and natural resources by 1999; Budget allocation.
- Oklahoma Lawmakers to See Small, $32M Increase for Fiscal '09 Budget. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;12/31/2007, Vol. 362 Issue 32783, p3
The article reports that the Oklahoma legislators will have only an additional $32.1 million to distribute for the fiscal 2009 state budget. The decision was based on the latest official estimate of total state revenues which is a 0.5% increase from the fiscal 2008 budget of $7.03 billion. The...
- Budget gaps: It is time to face reality. Williams, Bob // American City & County;May2010, Vol. 125 Issue 5, p32
The author discusses the issue of overspending in state and local government in the U.S. He states that the present budget crisis is a good opportunity to reform government budget systems and remind government agencies that they are not entitled to taxpayer dollars since they care created by the...
- Gov. Paterson's executive budget: a missed opportunity. Vitale, Paul // Westchester County Business Journal;2/15/2010, Vol. 49 Issue 7, p4
In this article, the author discusses the challenges encountered by the Executive Budget for 2010-2011 submitted by Governor David Paterson in New York. He notes that the budget's tax proposals increase the cost of doing business. He questions whether another state tax can solve a complicated...