A field without a name: What shall we call the study of
- Betraying the futurist. Udayakumar, S P // Futures: News, Analysis & Strategies for Futures, Options & Deri;Oct96, Vol. 25 Issue 13, p971
Presents an essay which discusses the views of a political futurist, and describes who a idealist-futurist is. Mahatma Gandhi as an idealist-futurist; How Gandhi builds his futurism.
- Forecasters' legal problems: How can they protect themselves? Gray, John A.; Simmons, LeRoy F. // Journal of Business Forecasting Methods & Systems;Spring95, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p23
Presents recommendations for economic forecasters in avoiding personal liability in their work. Forecasters as independent contractors; Forecasters contracting with parties abroad; Examples of court cases regarding liability exposure of a forecaster.
- How the future didn't happen. Pankov, Vladimir // History Today;Nov96, Vol. 46 Issue 11, p51
Focuses on the brilliant novelties and blind alleys of the so-called people of the future or the futurists. Features of a futurist; Views of Russian futurists about the future; Period in the history where it was considered as the futurists period; Soul of Russian futurism; Views of the first...
- Police futurists. // Futurist;Sep/Oct92, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p40
Announces the formation of The Society of Police Futurists International (PFI) which grew out of a 1991 symposium at the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Virginia. Overview of the group's goal of promoting foresight in criminal justice; Programs being planned to meet that goal.
- Top 10 futurists. // Futurist;Jan/Feb97, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p56
Features the top ten futurologists according to the `Encyclopedia of the Future.' Includes R. Buckminster Fuller; Herman Kahn; H.G. Wells.
- Future studies in Western Europe. // Futurist;May/Jun97, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p59
Presents information on the two major guides on futurist activities in Western Europe, published by the International Futuribles Association. How the two volumes are called; Features of the two major guides.
- How I became a futurist. Bell, Wendell // Futurist;May/Jun97, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p64
Opinion. Presents the author's view on how Jamaica's struggle for nationhood helped turn him toward the future. Reason why the author went to Jamaica; Purpose of the futures field; How the study of the future offers hope for humanity; Why the author became a futurist.
- Futurism--the trendiest profession. Tanaka, Jennifer // Newsweek (Pacific Edition);03/09/98, Vol. 131 Issue 10, p6
Focuses on futurism. Background on what futurism is and the struggle with its public image. Futurists as creative thinkers; Comment from Paul Saffo, a forecaster and a director of the Institute for the Future of Menlo Park, California. INSET: Extra! Get your paper.
- Futurism--the trendiest profession. Tanaka, Jennifer // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);03/09/98, Vol. 131 Issue 10, p8B
Focuses on futurism. Background on what futurism is and the struggle with its public image; Futurists as creative thinkers; Comment from Paul Saffo, a forecaster and a director of the Institute for the Future in Menlo Park, California. INSET: Extra! Get your paper..