Nebraska, South Dakota Struggle to Keep Reserves
- State and local government spending in 1975. Fleming Jr., Thomas F. // Monthly Labor Review;Aug71, Vol. 94 Issue 8, p19
Examines state and local government spending in the U.S. in 1975. Historical perspective of state and local government finances and expenditures; Impact of state and local government purchases on employment; Allocation of funds; Spending projections up from 1969 to 1975.
- Health Costs Continue to Hamper Fiscal Recovery. // State News (Council of State Governments);Feb2005, Vol. 48 Issue 2, p8
Discusses the impact of health care costs on the fiscal condition of states in the U.S. Factors which affect state revenues; Comparison of the level of spending of state governments for elementary and secondary education and Medicaid services.
- Florida's Bush Proposes $70.8 Billion Spending Plan With $4.2 Billion in New Debt. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;2/3/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32312, p36
The article reports on the proposed 2007 budget of Florida Governor Jeb Bush. The $4.2 billion in new debt that is included in the $70.8 billion budget is allotted to build public schools to reduce classroom sizes. The 2007 budget spending is 7.45 percent higher that the current budget. It also...
- Less money, more service. Hall, Wayne // State Government News;Aug2002, Vol. 45 Issue 7, p14
Focuses on the information technology (IT) state spending in the U.S. as of August 2002. Factors which may contribute to a boom in IT investments; Action taken by several states to meet declining IT revenue in 2002; Forecast on business spending on electronic technology in 2002.
- RIDING OUT THE STORM. Downing, Neil // State Legislatures;Sep2009, Vol. 35 Issue 8, p22
The article reports on the fiscal problem of Rhode Island. The state is said to be experiencing a full-blown recession that has increased the levels of unemployment and budget deficits even before Governor Donald L. Carcieri proposed a broader list of tax cuts in May 2009. It cites the increase...
- Minnesota Governor's Budget Relies On Spending Cuts, Tobacco Bonds. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;1/28/2009, Vol. 367 Issue 33050, p20
The article reports on the two-year state budget released by Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty. According to the author, the $57.6 billion budget deeply relies on 2.2% spending cuts in general funds which is less than $750 million from the previous state budgets. In addition, Pawlenty noted that...
- Which states have rainy-day funds? Carroll, James // State Government News;Apr2001, Vol. 44 Issue 4, p37
Focuses on the budget-stabilization funds or rainy-day funds of state governments in the United States. Purpose of rainy-day funds; List of states that have two stabilization funds; Determinants of the size of rainy day funds; Allocation of rainy funds.
- Bye, Bye Early Bird. Barrett, Katherine; Greene, Richard // Governing;Sep2003, Vol. 16 Issue 12, p65
Presents an article about the practice of several U.S. states of delaying their budgets as of September 2003. States that started the fiscal year with no budget in place; Views of Scott Pattison, executive director of the National Association of State Budget Officers, regarding late budget;...
- Ambitious state budget plan. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;5/19/2006, Issue 323558, p26
The article presents the views of the author regarding the 2007 revised state budget plan by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. He believes that the 131.1 billion dollar proposed budget was made possible by the residence of California who are paying additional 7.5 billion dollars in...