Global life expectancy rises
- Men Up, or Women Down? Daniels, Anthony // National Review;10/9/1995, Vol. 47 Issue 19, p52
The article reflects on health-related proposals in "Platform for Action," a document discussed at the 1995 United Nations Conference on Women. It criticizes the World Health Organization's definition of health. It argues that males have a higher mortality rate than females almost everywhere in...
- Unexpected bonus for older moms. Colino, Stacey // Parenting;Feb98, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p26
Presents information on a study conducted at Boston's Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, that found that women who have had children in their 40s, are four times likely to live to 100, than those who did not. Average dying age for women who did not have children in their 40s; Biological...
- Life expectancy. Verespej, Michael A. // Industry Week/IW;9/6/93, Vol. 242 Issue 17, p21
Presents information on life expectancy. Women living longer than men; National Center for Health Statistics.
- Women around the world are living longer but having it tougher: Study. // Jet;4/3/95, Vol. 87 Issue 21, p24
Presents the result of a study informing of high life expectancy of women around the world and the difference in the quality of their life.
- Unfair to men. Smith, Tony // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);10/21/95, Vol. 311 Issue 7012, p1097
Opinion. Discusses why women seem to live longer than men; Rationale for earlier retirement age for women vis-a-vis men; Effects of Y chromosome on early embryonic growth; Disadvantage of men with only one X chromosome.
- What's really killing us. // Patient Care;4/15/1996, Vol. 30 Issue 7, p12
Presents statistics on the death rates for the top medical conditions which are fatal to the population of the United States. Leading causes of death in the United States for 1993; Increase in the death rate for HIV infection; Life expectancy at birth in 1992 and 1993; Life expectancy for black...
- Dying Before Our Time. LANNOM, ANDREA // State Journal (WV);10/5/2012, Vol. 28 Issue 39, p1
The article offers information on a recent study conducted by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington on the life expectancy from 1989-2009 by sex and by county across West Virginia.
- Untitled. // Second Opinion;Apr92, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p94
Features the report of author Penny Kane on the life expectancy of women comparative with men in South Asia. 1991 book `Women's Health from Womb to Tomb'; Pattern elsewhere in the world; Excess death rate among women; Factor of preference for sons; Long-term life expectancy.
- Life expectancy gender gap narrows. // Infomat: A Weekly Review;5/17/2002, p5
Discusses the gap in life expectancy between the sexes. Key indicator of a population's health status; Decline in age-standardized mortality rates from all causes of death; Drop in infant mortality rate. INSET: Stillbirths.