Pharmaceutical sales increased during recession
- Going Off Patent: Standing Pat to Getting Out. O'Connell, Brian // BioPharm International;Jan2004, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p26
Focuses on the increase competition from generic drugs according to IMS Health Inc. and Reuters. Availability of prescription and generic drugs; Percentage of increase in sales of generic drugs in 2004; Priorities of government regulators regarding drug patents.
- Rx drugs post slowest growth since 1961: IMS Health. McGuire, Stephen // Medical Marketing & Media;Apr2008, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p8
The article reports on the lowest sales growth of prescription drugs in the U.S. pharmaceutical industry since 1961. Reported by IMS Health Inc., the total prescription sales of drugs increased to $286.5 billion in 2007, with slow sales rate resulting from loss of brand exclusivity, few product...
- The Pharma Top 50. // Pharmaceutical Technology Europe;Jul2009, Vol. 21 Issue 7, p43
The article reports on the performance of the top 50 pharmaceutical companies in Europe. It highlights that the top 50 pharmaceutical companies reported $558 billion prescription drug sales in 2008. According to the article the, the rankings for the pharmaceutical companies are based on their...
- Pharma execs face challenges. Morrison, Mary E. // B to B;4/7/2008, Vol. 93 Issue 5, p17
The article focuses on the slowdown of sales growth of prescription market in the U.S. According to IMS Health, a provider of market intelligence to the pharmaceutical and health care industries, the slowdown is a result of various challenges facing pharmaceutical companies. Some of the...
- Why some brands are favored over generics in formularies. Epstein, Debbie // Drug Topics;8/21/95 Generics Supplement, Vol. 139 Issue 16, p21S
Discusses the reasons why generic drugs lose its preferred status in managed care drug formularies. Trend among pharmacy benefit managers (PBM) of blocking generics from their plan; Comparison of branded and generic products in terms of cost-effectiveness; PBM companies' practice of not passing...
- Drug and Formulary Trends. // Formulary;Nov2002, Vol. 37 Issue 11, p574
Reports on trends in the pharmaceutical industry. Physicians' view on formularies and generic drugs; Electronic prescribing benefits; Medication substitution.
- The Demand For Generics Keeps Rising. // Chain Drug Review;2/28/2011, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p68
The article reports that generic drug makers continue to provide patients with affordable medications, according to data from IMS Health Inc., wherein the total number of prescriptions dispensed in the U.S. in 2010 has grown 2.4% while generic prescriptions increased more than 22%.
- Navigating through pharmacy: Like reading confusing street signs. Gudenas, Don // Drug Topics;5/12/2008, Vol. 152 Issue 6, p84
The author reflects on the ability of support personnel in a pharmacy to read prescriptions and perform their task with accuracy. He argues that there is a lack of standard guidelines to train technicians and inform them about the basics of their tasks. Support personnel should know how to read...
- Molecule of the Month. Lindsley, Craig W. // Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry;Aug2008, Vol. 8 Issue 12, p1100
The article reports on the 200 prescription drugs in 2007 in terms of both sales and number of dispensed prescriptions. According to it, the significant increase in generic prescriptions and sales is the overriding theme of the data. It states that Lipitor dominated the list of top 10 products...