Talking health care in the real world
- A closer look at European health care reforms. Pellegrini, Christina // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;1/7/2014, Vol. 186 Issue 1, pE24
The article reports on the comparison of health care systems in Canada and European countries, based on a study conducted by the Macdonald-Laurier Institute. The Ottawa, Ontario-based public policy research institute emphasizes the importance of allowing innovative solutions in order to...
- Priorities for the new Celtic tiger. Doran, Liam // World of Irish Nursing;Oct2004, Vol. 12 Issue 9, p5
Comments on the efforts of the Irish government to finalize the budget for health care services. Reasons behind the reduced borrowing requirement of the government in 2004 that was confirmed by the Department of Finance; Need for the government to address the inadequacies that exist in public...
- Cash boost for cancer care. // Nursing Standard;3/17/2004, Vol. 18 Issue 27, p9
Reports on the provision of additional funds for cancer services in Scotland to purchase new equipment, facilities and screening.
- 10 health stories that mattered: Apr. 18-24. // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;6/16/2015, Vol. 187 Issue 9, pE261
This section offers health news briefs in Canada for the week of April 18-24, 2015. Topics covered include the federal government's budget for health care and research, the renewal of the mandate of the Mental Health Commission of Canada, and the move of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of...
- (HEALTH) RWJF Disparities Grants. // Children & Youth Funding Report;1/8/2010, p24
The article presents information on the "Finding Answers: Disparities Research for Change" funding program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF). The program supports initiatives taken to improve the quality of healthcare provided to patients from racial and ethnic backgrounds that are...
- Poland's Health-Care System Ailing. Kosc, Wojciech // Transitions Online;1/19/2004, pN.PAG
Reports on the impact of the decision of the National Health Fund (NFZ) in Poland not to allocate funds for HIV treatment in the 2004 budget on the prevalence of HIV cases in the country. Setbacks of the 2002 law creating the central health fund; Function of NFZ; Verdict of the tribunal on the NFZ.
- Trio's sign-off marks further boost for NHS LIFT. // Public Private Finance;Nov2004, Issue 88, p10
Reports on developments concerning the National Health Service's LIFT program in Great Britain. Financial close of projects; Combined initial capital value of the projects; Construction of a care center and a community hospital facility in Manningham.
- The Unheard Patient. HARRIS, JANE // Alberta Views;Nov2015, Vol. 18 Issue 9, p42
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of receiving poor medical care a health facilities in Alberta.
- The new federal health strategy: give the money and run. Stanbrook, Matthew B. // CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal;4/17/2012, Vol. 184 Issue 7, p741
The author reflects on the decision of the federal government of Canada to proceed with its plan for the funding of federal health transfer. He states that the federal government did not show leadership in their responsibility to improve the health care system and has treated the health record...