Shipping Australia: Rise in protection of the sea levy of great concern
- Clinton maritime reform plan wins cautious applause. Brennan, Terry // Traffic World;2/14/94, Vol. 237 Issue 7, p14
Reports on the acceptance of the maritime transport sector of government plans to subsidize shipping programs by increasing vessel tonnage taxes. Impact of food aid program cuts on carrier business; Threat of conversion to foreign-flag registry; Fears of increased shipment costs.
- Proposed harbor 'user fee' would stifle port use, improvements. Donohue, Thomas J. // New Hampshire Business Review;08/13/99, Vol. 21 Issue 18, p11
Comments on the impact of a proposal to implement a harbor `user fee' in the United States. Payment by ships using ports in the US of tax on cargo that goes to a trust fund to pay for port services; Criticism of the proposal as it would be detrimental to vessels using the ports.
- VIRGINIA. // Sales & Use Tax Alert;8/1/2011, Vol. 21 Issue 13, p7
This section offers news briefs on sales and use tax in Virginia as of August 1, 2011, including reminders for taxpayers about the back-to-school sales tax holiday set for August 5-7 and a ruling on the taxation of combined shipping and handling charges.
- Shipping and mining industries subject of coordinated issue papers. // Practical Accountant;Nov96, Vol. 29 Issue 11, p24
Reports on the issue papers released by the United States Internal Revenue Service regarding transitional tax relief of mining equipment and whether the income generated by crude oil shipping between a foreign country and a US port should be US-sourced. Opinion of the IRS regarding tax relief...
- House panel schedules hearings on Clinton maritime reforms. // Traffic World;3/14/94, Vol. 237 Issue 11, p43
Reports on the House merchant marine subcommittee's hearing on President Bill Clinton administration's maritime reform program. Funding of the subsidy program through a tonnage vessel fee; Taxation of the first five ship arrivals at United States ports each year for all commercial vessels;...
- Tonnage tax. Greene, Chris; Maddalena, Christina // Accountancy;Oct2000, Vol. 126 Issue 1286, p121
Focuses on tonnage tax in Great Britain. Tax regime for the shipping industry; Key provisions of 'The Tonnage Tax Regulations 2000,' and Statement of Practice, SP 400, 'Tonnage Tax.'
- Shippers oppose European tax. Cottrill, Ken // Chemical Week;2/5/1997, Vol. 159 Issue 5, p61
Focuses on shippers' objection to road taxes proposed by the European Commission. Undermining of efficiency of European manufacturers; Proposal aimed at recovering `true' cost of road transportation; Absence of alternative to short-haul road transportation in Europe.
- Pacific shippers may appeal inspection fees. // Traffic World;2/13/95, Vol. 241 Issue 7, p48
Reports on the Pacific Merchant Shipping Association's (PMSA) move to determine whether their group should appeal a California appeals court decision requiring international ocean carriers to pay for state agricultural inspections. Details of the court decision; PMSA's claim that the state...
- Good for Alaska. Bohi, Heidi // Alaska Business Monthly;Jun2008, Vol. 24 Issue 6, p116
The article reports on separate legislation proposed in Washington and California that will tax Alaska containers that pass through the states' ports in 2008. The container tax bill in Washington has little chance of passage, but a similar bill in California was passed by the state's Senate and...