- Behind the black/Jewish split. // Commentary;Jan1986, Vol. 81 Issue 1, p23
Relations between American blacks and Jews have become strained in recent years. The two groups find themselves at loggerheads over issues each perceives at vital. Efforts to repair the damage have been mostly in vain. Some of the problems between the groups go back many decades, but it is a...
- American Jews and Israel. Abel, L.; Alexander, E. // Commentary;Feb1988, Vol. 85 Issue 2, p21
As Israel approaches its fortieth birthday, never has criticism of the state by American Jews been so open, so widespread and so bitter. Forty-nine American Jewish intellectuals reflect on changes in their own attitudes toward Israel in recent years. Israel's fulfillment of American Jews'...
- Liberalism & American Jews. Kristol, I. // Commentary;Oct88, Vol. 86 Issue 4, p19
Opinion. Comments on the historical and religious sources of political liberalism among American Jews, telling how some of the illusions of liberalism are falling away. Prophets and rabbis; Orthodox Judaism.
- American Jews: Diehard conservatives. Himmelfarb, M. // Commentary;Apr89, Vol. 87 Issue 4, p44
Gives results of a political survey among American Jews. Opinions on Jesse Jackson; Presidential vote; Ideology.
- Our road to Zion! A memoir. Vital, D. // Commentary;May89, Vol. 87 Issue 5, p49
A writer reflects on his Russian Jewish family and tells why they left London for Palestine. Zionism; Revisionist party.
- Immigrant origins and sponsor policies: Sources of change in South Jersey Jewish colonies. Eisenberg, Ellen // Journal of American Ethnic History;Spring92, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p27
Examines the evolution of Jewish colonies in southern New Jersey's Salem and Cumberland counties in the late nineteenth to the early twentieth century. American Jewish colonies and Jewish life in the Pale of Jewish Settlement in Russia; Emergence of Am Olam in Russia; Financial sponsors within...
- This alien thing that is my inheritance. Eilberg-Schwartz, Howard // Judaism;Fall95, Vol. 44 Issue 4, p430
Discusses the author's experience growing up a Jew in Maryland. Family background; Author's views on being a Jew; Interests in the history of Judaism; Academic background; Connection between the author's work as a Jewish historian and his personal life.
- Jews (in theory): Representations of Judaism, anti-Semitism, and the holocaust in postmodern... Weingrad, Michael // Judaism;Winter96, Vol. 45 Issue 1, p79
Focuses on Jews in postmodern French thought. Influence of French theory; Abstraction and reduction; Problems of major theorists; Ambivalence of the distinction between `jews' and Jews; Abjection and the Jews; Christianity as anthropology.
- Jews in present-day Russia. Ryvkina, Rozalina V.; Yanowitch, Murray // Russian Social Science Review;May/Jun98, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p52
Presents information on the problems facing Jews in Russia. Identification of the social characteristics of Jews; Details on the emigration of Jews; Information on the fears Jews have of anti-Semitism; Identification of the factors driving Jews into estrangement from their own ethnic culture.
- Operation Solomon. // Christian Century;6/12/91, Vol. 108 Issue 19, p617
Reports that Israel airlifted 14,400 Ethiopian Jews May 24-25--nearly the entire Jewish population of Ethiopia. Making 41 military and commercial flights to Tel Aviv and using 35 civilian and military airplanes (including one Ethiopian airliner), the operation was completed in less than 36...