A Loaded Plate: Food Symbolism and the Early Modern Scottish Household
- Food and Famine in the 21st Century. McClune, Patricia N. // Library Journal;2/1/2013, Vol. 138 Issue 2, p81
The article reviews the two volume set of books "Food and Famine in the 21st Century" by William A. Dando.
- 'It is truly, in the expressive language of Burke, a nation crying for bread': the public response to the highland famine of 1836-1837. MacAskill, John // Innes Review;Autumn2010, Vol. 61 Issue 2, p169
Famines and food scarcities in the Highlands and Islands, apart from those of the 1690s and 1847, have been under-examined in Scottish historiography. This article considers an aspect of the serious famine of 1836-7: the public response to the famine as reflected by the committees set up to...
- The Irish potato famine. Japikse, Catharina // EPA Journal;Fall94, Vol. 20 Issue 3/4, p44
Presents an historical overview of the Great Potato Famine of the 1840s in Ireland. The complex causes of the famine; Economic and political factors; Environmental conditions; Questionable agricultural practices; Lessons for famines of the 20th century.
- Truth on the famine road. Pilger, John // New Statesman & Society;5/26/95, Vol. 8 Issue 354, p14
Reflects on the historical significance of the Irish Famine or the `Great Hunger' on its 150th anniversary in 1995. Historical background; Role of Great Britain; Moral implications; Worldwide political implications.
- Indigestible truths. Eagleton, Terry // New Statesman & Society;6/2/95, Vol. 8 Issue 355, p22
Discusses the Great Irish Famine of the late 1840s. Attitude of Anglo-Irish landlords toward their starving peasants; Aim of the relief campaign; Emigration to the United States; Publication of the book `Why Ireland Starved,' by Joel Mokyr; Culture of shame; Survival of the famine in the...
- Drinking for hunger. Callahan, Maureen // New York;1/15/96, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p14
Reports on the holding of a fundraiser to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Irish famine, in New York City. Attendance by Irish American writers and actors including Gabriel Byrne, Matt Dillon, Aidan Quinn; Emerald Society as sponsor of the event.
- Hunger-relief agencies receive food shipment. // Chicago Citizen - Chicago Weekend Edition;7/14/2010, Vol. 40 Issue 27, p11
The article offers information on the food shipment received by the hunger-relief agencies from the international hunger relief organization which will help to supply foods to an estimated 400 families in Ashland, Kentucky.
- In the foodsteps. // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);Nov2000, Vol. 72 Issue 11, p34
Offers a look at the gastronomic history of primitive humans. Mechanisms that drive changes in diet; Purpose of hunting for primitive humans; Period wherein agriculture emerged; History of the growth of meat consumption in Europe.
- Introduction: Bringing More to the Table. Bescherer Metheny, Karen // Northeast Historical Archaeology;2013, Vol. 42, p1
An introduction is presented in which the author discusses topics within the issue, including the archaeological study of foodways, the history of food preparation and consumption, and the history of cooking vessels.