- Blowout. Santow, Dan // Men's Health;Nov93, Vol. 8 Issue 8, p42
Discusses one of the more common male afflictions, the hernia. What it is; How it occurs; What to do after you've been diagnosed; Advice from hernia specialist Hugh Hallam, M.D., chief surgeon at the Shouldice Hospital in Toronto; Surgical options for treatment; Standard repair; Shouldice...
- Whom do you truss? // Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness;Oct93, Vol. 54 Issue 10, p20
Cites an article on the causes and treatment of hernia, from `The British Journal of Sports Medicine.' Characteristics of hernial pain; Weakness in the lower abdominal wall; Surgery as the best treatment; Percentage of recovery from surgery in a study which involved 14 men and one woman.
- Gut-check time. Pesmen, Curtis // GQ: Gentlemen's Quarterly;Jul98, Vol. 68 Issue 7, p105
Presents information on hernias. How to test for a hernia; How hernias are diagnosed; Detection of hernias; Who are at risk of having a hernia. INSET: The scope vs. scalpel debate.
- 'Steakhouse syndrome' in a man with a lower esophageal ring and a hiatal hernia. Belafsky, Peter C.; Postma, Gregory N.; Koufman, James A. // ENT: Ear, Nose & Throat Journal;Feb2003, Vol. 82 Issue 2, p102
Presents a case of a man with a lower esophageal ring and a hiatal hernia. Symptoms; Treatment.
- Typical and atypical presentations. Patel, Narendra // GP: General Practitioner;9/23/2002, p52
Identifies different types of granuloma and hernia. Lesion associated with granuloma annulare; Rarity of complications in umbilical hernia; Symptoms observed in a patient with a large para-umbilical hernia.
- Intrathoracic perforation of hiatus hernia. Stilwell, John H. // British Medical Journal;8/26/1978, Vol. 2 Issue 6137, p605
Examines the intrathoracic perforation of hiatus hernia. Importance of increase in intraabdominal pressure; Presence of a non-tender irreducible right femoral hernia; Rarity of obstruction or torsion of the stomach in the hernial sac.
- exomphalos. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p827
An encyclopedia entry for "exomphalos" is presented.
- paromphalocele. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p1715
A definition of the term "paromphalocele" which refers to a hernia or tumor near the umbilicus is presented.
- Laparoscopically Assisted Approach for Postoperative Ventral Hernia Repair. Eitan, Arie; Bickel, Amitai // Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques;Oct2002, Vol. 12 Issue 5, p309
Background: The laparoscopic approach to incisional hernia repair is already well established because of its advantages. We evaluated the possibility of using a laparoscopically assisted approach whenever conversion to open repair was considered. Patients and Methods: We operated...