Scandal-Dogged Illinois Governor Opts Not to Seek Second Term
- For Gov. Ryan, biggest job is rebuilding confidence. // Crain's Chicago Business;02/07/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p10
Editorial. Focuses on the role of Governor George Ryan on the economy of Chicago, Illinois. Insights on the contribution of Ryan in promoting community infrastructure programs; Comment on the involvement of Ryan in the driver licensing corruption scandal; Impact of the scandal on public...
- Forget detractors; Ryan's good to go for second term. Munson, Lester // Crain's Chicago Business;06/11/2001, Vol. 24 Issue 24, p10
Focuses on the achievements of Illinois Governor George Ryan. Relief of traffic congestion at Eisenhower Expressway; Elimination of the Hillside Strangler.
- State conservatives make Ryan pay for liberal ways. Green, Paul M. // Crain's Chicago Business;01/24/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p11
Focuses on the performance of Illinois Governor George Ryan in 1999. Parade of important legislation; Squabble with James Philip.
- Guv's headaches mount. Hinz, Greg // Crain's Chicago Business;12/18/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 52, p24
Reports on the problems being faced by Illinois Governor George Ryan in the last two years of his term. United States Senators eyeing the job of Illinois governor; Corruption probes against Ryan; Approved legislative agenda by Ryan in 2000; Speculations on Ryan's plans for re-election in 2002.
- Ryan did the right thing--justice. // National Catholic Reporter;1/24/2003, Vol. 39 Issue 12, p24
Editorial. Comments on Illinois governor George Ryan's opposition to the death penalty. Decision of Ryan to rescind the death sentences of 160 persons in death row; Reasons for commuting the death sentences.
- Guv hopefuls test waters. Hinz, Greg // Crain's Chicago Business;01/15/2001, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p4
Reports on the growing interest among politicians in Illinois Governor George Ryan's post. Gubernatorial hopefuls from the Republican and Democratic Parties; Uncertainty over Ryan's political future caused by corruption charges in the secretary of state's office; Speculations on Ryan's future...
- Illinois governor won't run. // State Government News;Sep2001, Vol. 44 Issue 8, p8
Reports on the decision of Republican Governor George Ryan of Illinois not to seek re-election in 2001. Reason for Ryan's decision; Republican state officials who are likely to run for the gubernatorial election; Factor which led to the decline in the popularity ratings of Ryan.
- Biz Will Ride along on Gov. Ryan's Cuba Trip. Merrion, Paul // Crain's Chicago Business;09/13/99, Vol. 22 Issue 37, p3
Reports on the high number of Illinois businesspeople interested in joining Governor George Ryan's trade-related trip to Cuba in October 1999. Significance of the trip to efforts of pressuring the United States government to end its embargo against trade with Cuba; Planned activities during the...
- As election dust settles in Illinois, Poshard will face Ryan for governor. Goldsmith, Steve; Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;03/19/98, Vol. 323 Issue 30354, p40
Reports that US Republican Glenn Poshard has prevailed over three Democratic opponents vying to take on Republican Secretary of State George Ryan in the Illinois governor race. Support of the two candidates on building a third regional airport in the state; Name of the three Democratic opponents.