COLLEGE STUDENTS' PERCEPTIONS ON THE PAYMENT OF INTERCOLLEGIATE STUDENT-ATHLETES
- Should College Athletes Be Paid? Rose, Jalen // Jet;3/21/2011, Vol. 119 Issue 11, p48
The article presents the author's view that student athletes should be paid a $2,000 per semester stipend. A discussion focuses on the idea that colleges, coaches, and staff benefit from the performance of student athletes. Opposition from the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) to...
- ARTHUR ASHE JR. 2005 SPORTS SCHOLAR. // Black Issues in Higher Education;4/7/2005, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p26
Focuses on the 2005 Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholars award sponsored by the periodical "Black Issues in Higher Education" to honor undergraduate students across the U.S. who excelled both in academics and sports. Qualities that qualified nominees for the award must possess; Selected...
- Top 100 Undergraduate, Graduate & Professional Degree Producers. // Black Issues in Higher Education;4/11/2002, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p35
Presents a list of U.S. minority student-athletes who were honorees of the 2002 Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholar Award of the Year.
- College Sports: By the Numbers. // Black Issues in Higher Education;4/11/2002, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p56
Presents graphs and charts on the status of minority student-athletes in the U.S. as of April 2002. Graduation rates for student-athletes; Minority representation in coaching.
- Arthur Ashe Jr. 2006 Sports Scholars. // Diverse: Issues in Higher Education;4/6/2006, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p20
The article presents information on the Sports Scholars Awards, sponsored by the periodical "Diverse: Issues In Higher Education." The award will honor undergraduate students of color in the U.S. who have excelled both academically and athletically. The award was inspired by tennis legend Arthur...
- College Athletes Deserve Some Equity. Greenlee, Craig T. // Black Issues in Higher Education;04/27/2000, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p62
Criticizes the income given to college athletes by sports administrators in the United States. Comparison of salaries and bonuses given to coaches; Income of athletes from commercial endorsements; Rules of the National Collegiate Athletics Association on accepting other money-generating jobs...
- They Gave My Daughter's Scholarship Away! Baines, Gwendolyn // Tennessee Tribune;3/11/2010, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p9A
The article presents an advisory column regarding the college scholarships for student athletes.
- Are college student-athletes playing ball or being played? Hallman, Charles // Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder;11/11/2010, Vol. 76 Issue 15, p10
The article discusses the findings of the "Ithaca Players Association Scholarship Shortfall Study" which focuses on the expenses of college students-athletes under scholarship.
- Endowment Goes to Athletic Scholarships. // San Diego Business Journal;1/28/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p6
Reports the importance of endowment by the late Helene Clarke to support the scholarships for student-athletes in the Cal State San Marcos in San Diego, California.