Defusing the angry child
- Violence Prevention Programs and the Effect on Adolescents. Walling, Anne D. // American Family Physician;11/01/96, Vol. 54 Issue 6, p2102
Presents a summary of the article `Evaluation of comprehensive violence prevention education: effects on student behavior,' by A. Hausman, et al from `Journal of Adolescent Health' dated 1996. Method used in the study; Second leading cause of death; Results of the study; Conclusions.
- Taking a stand. Roessing, Walter // Boys' Life;Feb97, Vol. 87 Issue 2, p39
Provides information on the violence campaign of kids in Northern Light School in Oakland, California. Kid's participation on the campaign; How the kids prevent the cause of violence through their campaign; Sponsors of the programs.
- Arm children with a better weapon. Davis, Katie // Christian Science Monitor;2/29/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 67, p11
Focuses on tactics to keep children and young people from resorting to violence to solve conflicts.
- LIFT Violence Out Of Schools. McCarthy, Kelly // Psychology Today;Sep/Oct2000, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p18
Focuses on Linking the Interests of Families and Teachers (LIFT), a violence-prevention program for children. Functions of LIFT; Results of the testing of the program.
- Hospital shocks teens about violence. // Trustee;Mar95, Vol. 48 Issue 3, p3
Reports on the Shock Mentor Program developed by Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly, Maryland, to discourage high school students from participating in violent and high-risk behavior. Encouragement for high school students to observe medical professionals saving the lives of trauma...
- Finding a safe haven in middle school. Mehas, Kay; Boling, Kevin; Sobieniak, Sharon; Sprague, Jeffrey; Burke, Mack D.; Hagan, Shanna // Teaching Exceptional Children;Mar/Apr98, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p20
Focuses on the prevention of violence in middle schools, while highlighting a school-wide violence prevention program at Kennedy Middle School in Eugene, Oregon. Information on statistics published by the Office of Juvenile Justice and Deliquency Prevention on adolescent violence; Detailed...
- Frustration busters. Koontz, Katy // Parenting;Apr98, Vol. 12 Issue 3, p173
Focuses on controlling anger in children. Comments from James Windell a psychologist and author of `Children Who Say No When You Want Them to Say Yes'; Alternatives to dealing with anger; How to help children through anger.
- Provoked by a peer: Children's anger-related responses and their... Murphy, Bridget C.; Eisenberg, Nancy // Merrill-Palmer Quarterly;Jan96, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p103
Examines in detail children's angry conflict incidents with peers. Causes of their anger, their goals and strategies; Relations of anger-related internal and behavioral reactions to children's social functioning.
- Why some students rage. // NEA Today;Sep98, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p26
Interviews Baer Max, a child and adolescent psychiatrist in Plano, Texas, who helps families deal with rage in young people. Causes of aggressive behavior or violence in children; Warning signs that a student behavior is escalating to violence; How school employees help students control and deal...