Choosing Between Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution Plans
- Major pension changes likely in Japan. Bradford, Michael // Business Insurance;05/01/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 18, p105
Focuses on the proposed changes on Japan's defined pension plans. Opportunity for employers to offer workers a form of defined contribution pension plan; Economic and social implications of the proposed changes; Shortcomings to the pension legislation, according to consultants.
- EXCUTIVES SUMMARIES. // Benefits Quarterly;2009 First Quarter, Vol. 25 Issue 1, p3
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including the article by Barbara J. Hogg about the changes of retirement plan designs and another on defined benefit and defined contribution plans by Peter A. Gold and Alan Vorchheimer.
- Illinois' largest pension funds. // Crain's Chicago Business;3/17/2003, Vol. 26 Issue 11, p17
Presents a chart of largest pension funds in Illinois ranked on the basis of total assets as of March 2003. Percentage share of funds of different categories; Statistics of defined-contribution plans of top five companies; Share of stocks, bonds and other categories in define-benefits assets.
- Moves towards DC will undermine loyalty initiatives. O'Donovan, Debi // Employee Benefits;Jan2002, p5
Comments on the adoption of defined contribution pension plans that gives employers an opportunity to lower contributions without affecting employment contracts. Way to provide financial advice for employees.
- True cost of averting a crisis on pensions. // Employee Benefits;Jan2002, p9
Provides information on an annual National Association of Pension Funds survey which showed that companies are moving from defined benefit to defined contribution (DC) schemes. Response of a British Telecom's spokeswoman on its DC scheme.
- A comparison of income replacement rates in defined... Abraham, John D.; Schneider, Krista // Employee Benefits Journal;Sep98, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p31
Examines the income replacement potential offered by defined benefit and defined contribution pension plans. Comparison between the two types of pension plan; Information on the pension plans for public school teachers; Risks associated with both pension plan options.
- Health industry expected to shift toward DC plans. Williamson, Christine // Pensions & Investments;8/7/95, Vol. 23 Issue 16, p10
Reports on the shift of the majority of benefits professionals in healthcare industry from defined benefits plan to defined contribution. Results of survey of 443 benefits professionals from hospitals in the entire United States; Inadequacy of the retirement plans offered by hospitals; Ways in...
- Detroit may establish defined contribution plan. // Pensions & Investments;8/05/96, Vol. 24 Issue 16, p49
Reports that the city of Detroit, Michigan may be converting part of its $4 billion-plus defined benefit plan to a defined contribution plan for some employees.
- Some say 401(k) plans aren't fulfilling all of their promises. Jacobius, Arleen // Pensions & Investments;10/29/2001, Vol. 29 Issue 22, p19
Reports on the comparison between defined contribution plans and defined benefit plans in the United States. Percentage of the work force covered by defined contribution plans; Coverage of employer-sponsored pension plans; Importance of defined benefit plans in accumulating money for retirement.