RCN Settles at Unfortunate Time
- Manhattan gets Regional. Dempsey, John // Daily Variety;12/14/2004, Vol. 285 Issue 52, p4
The article reports that the Regional News Network, which operates as an independent television station headquartered in Kingston, New York, but reaches about 3.5 million households in the greater New York area, will get its signal into Manhattan and Queens for the first time through a deal with...
- Carriage. // CableFAX Daily;10/11/2005, Vol. 16 Issue 197, p2
This article presents an update on the U.S. cable television industry, as of October 11, 2005. Gay network Q TV was launched by RCN. Mid-Atlantic Sports Network is negotiating with cable operators as it plans to expand distribution. Sundance is negotiating with Verizon for the FiOS TV service.
- Deals. // CableFAX Daily;3/9/2006, Vol. 17 Issue 46, p2
Offers news briefs concerning the cable television industry as of March 2006. Decision of U.S.-based RCN to sell a percentage of stake in Mexico's Megacable; Terms under the agreement formed by U.S.-based Comcast with Spanish-language television networks Univision, TeleFutura and Galavision.
- This Just In. // Multichannel News;11/13/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 46, p2
Presents news related to the United States cable television industry, as of November 2000. Cable's open-access victory in a Broward County, Florida ruling; Resignation plans of Cable News Network principal anchor Bernard Shaw; Approval of three more RCN Corp. franchises in Chicago, Illinois.
- Univision touts 2nd web, inks content. Sutter, Mary // Daily Variety;06/19/2001, Vol. 272 Issue 12, p4
Reports on Univision's planned second cable network to debut in 2002. Programming deals with broadcasters RCN of Colombia and Radio Caracas Television (RCTV) of Venezuela; Broadcast of content from RCN and RCTV in Puerto Rico; Plans to counter program the new network against both the flagship...
- RCN pleads its set-top case. // CED;May2007, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p14
The article reports that RCN Corp. has been urging the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to approve its set-top waiver request ahead of the July 1, 2007 ban on cable boxes with integrated security. RCN is seeking a waiver on its one model, the Motorola DCT700, a low-cost, all-digital...
- Affils flock to MundoFox. // Daily Variety;3/5/2012, Vol. 314 Issue 45, p1
The article reports that the television channel MundoFox from Fox International Channels and RCN Corp. has secured affiliates in 40% of the Hispanic family households in the U.S. in 2012.
- Helium boost: RCN carriage. Moss, Linda // Multichannel News;02/07/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p3
Reports on the agreement forged by cable television network Oxygen with RCN Corp. for limited carriage in New York. Description of the distribution deal; Impact of the agreement on Oxygen's presence in the New York market; Advertising efforts to promote the presence; Celebrities in the...
- In the Clutches of Cable. McCourt, David C. // Across the Board;Jul/Aug2006, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p11
The article focuses on the strategy of cable companies to rely on proprietary technology to prevent open competition. RCN spent almost half a billion dollars replacing proprietary equipment each time a consumer transferred to their service. Consumers dislike the way cable companies offer their...