Help for consumers
- Seeing Red Over Proposed Bankruptcy Reform. Ruth, Joao-Pierre S. // Business News New Jersey;03/14/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p26
Focuses on the campaign of United States credit card companies to propose a stronger legislation to prevent clients from using bankruptcy filings to escape their debts. Participation of business organizations in the Bankruptcy Reform Task Force; Concern on the impact of a hidden bankruptcy tax...
- National commentary. Mignini Jr., Paul J. // Business Credit;Apr99, Vol. 101 Issue 4, p4
Presents updates on United States legislation related to Bankruptcy Reform. Release of statistical data on bankruptcies in 1998; Increase in consumer bankruptcy filings; Provisions of the Bankruptcy Reform Act of 1999; House Resolution 833.
- What You Need To Know About The New Bankruptcy Law. // Jet;9/12/2005, Vol. 108 Issue 11, p23
Focuses on the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 and the views of bankruptcy specialist Michael H. Reed. Criteria for the "means test" used in Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing, which eliminates all unsecured debt; Bankruptcy protection removed from the "automatic stay";...
- Has Anything Changed in the Past Century? Revisiting Graue's "The Social Cost of Bad Debt". Friesner, Dan; Hackney, Donald; McPherson, Matthew; Axelsen, Dan // Journal of Economic Issues (M.E. Sharpe Inc.);Dec2011, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p755
In a seminal paper, Erwin Graue (1939) provides an institutional analysis of the causes and consequences of personal bankruptcy protection in the United States during the period 1900-1937 when bankruptcy procedures were guided by the Federal Bankruptcy Act of 1898 (the Law was revised in 1938)....
- Reimbursement of Fees and Expenses in Chapter 15 Cases. LANDIS, ADAM G.; DROBISH, JEFFREY R. // ABI Journal;Sep2014, Vol. 33 Issue 9, p26
The article discusses the appropriate standards for creditor reimbursement under Â§ 503(b)(3)(D) and (b)(4), the mechanics of the Chapter 15 of the Bankruptcy Code. Topics include the Section 503 (b) (3) (D) of the code provides reimbursement of the actual expenses incurred by a creditor, the...
- Bankruptcy Reform: Value of Credit Counseling Requirement Is Not Clear: GAO-07-203. Jones, Yvonne D. // GAO Reports;4/24/2007, p1
The Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 requires individuals to receive credit counseling before filing for bankruptcy and to take a debtor education course before having debts discharged. Concerns were raised that the new requirements could expose consumers to...
- Chapter 11. // World Almanac & Book of Facts;2000, p113
No abstract available.
- Chapter 9 bankruptcy and unsecured creditors. Blakeley, Scott E. // Business Credit;Mar1995, Vol. 97 Issue 3, p8
Reports on the Chapter 9 bankruptcy of Orange County, California. Law on municipalities losing money; Restricting the access to the investment pool; Trade creditors' rights; Appointment of a creditors' committee; Interfering with the municipal's political or governmental affairs; Deadline as to...
- Fla. hospital seeking bankruptcy protection. Pallarito, Karen // Modern Healthcare;01/18/99, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p17
Reports that Princeton Hospital has sought bankruptcy court protection in Orlando, Florida. Resignation of hospital employees; Reorganization efforts of hospital management; Loan arrangement for hospital financing.